Hunt for my 1st 60 Series turned BUILD thread! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was in a very similar buying situation as yourself just a few months ago. I wanted a solid, rust free FJ62 because of the automatic tranny and the vintage looks. I think an 80 or 100 would have definitely made a better daily driver but I'm young and dumb and I wanted the classic look. I learned that it is well worth the wait to find a well taken care of example vs. one that will need more attention. While some parts are inexpensive and attainable some are getting harder to find. I have also learned to expect little fixes often. Just during the time of my ownership of a well sorted rig i have dealt with broken belts, faulty alternator, dirty battery points, faulty wheel cylinder, and an old battery. Some of this was expected due to the history of the vehicle (rarely driven in the past 3 years). I'm not sure if this is the opinion of the whole forum as I am still relatively new to the MUD forum as well, but I would buy a well sorted and cared for rig with higher miles over a neglected rig with "low miles". These little fixes have never left me stranded but they have sucked some hours out of my weekend and acquainted me with the local auto parts clerks. Also, budget the aftermarket parts into your overall price. I spent more on a well sorted truck but it has left my truck fund fairly dry for the basic upgrades I was hoping for (bumpers, roof rack, lights, etc).

I am moving to Dallas this week and might be available to check out a truck if you'd like, it may save you a preliminary drive. I hope this helps

I was in a very similar buying situation as yourself just a few months ago. I wanted a solid, rust free FJ62 because of the automatic tranny and the vintage looks. I think an 80 or 100 would have definitely made a better daily driver but I'm young and dumb and I wanted the classic look. I learned that it is well worth the wait to find a well taken care of example vs. one that will need more attention. While some parts are inexpensive and attainable some are getting harder to find. I have also learned to expect little fixes often. Just during the time of my ownership of a well sorted rig i have dealt with broken belts, faulty alternator, dirty battery points, faulty wheel cylinder, and an old battery. Some of this was expected due to the history of the vehicle (rarely driven in the past 3 years). I'm not sure if this is the opinion of the whole forum as I am still relatively new to the MUD forum as well, but I would buy a well sorted and cared for rig with higher miles over a neglected rig with "low miles". These little fixes have never left me stranded but they have sucked some hours out of my weekend and acquainted me with the local auto parts clerks. Also, budget the aftermarket parts into your overall price. I spent more on a well sorted truck but it has left my truck fund fairly dry for the basic upgrades I was hoping for (bumpers, roof rack, lights, etc).

I am moving to Dallas this week and might be available to check out a truck if you'd like, it may save you a preliminary drive. I hope this helps

This isn't going to be a daily driver for me. I own 2002 Tacoma that is my beater truck and I also have a new Tundra TRD Off Road Crew Max 4x4. The FJ is going to be a weekend toy if you will. I totally agree with buying a solid wagon. I'm willing to go as far as 15K for the FJ alone, then I'll add accessories afterwords.

I ended up making a deal with the owner of the FJ62 in the link above. I bought a plane ticket in late October 2016 and flew out to Tucson, AZ. I drove the FJ62 back to Texas, which was a little bit over 900 miles with zero issues. She was everything the owner claimed and more. The body is immaculate with zero rust. The interior is completely stock and intact. Hard to believe a 27 year old vehicle has an interior this clean. Every light and electrical component works as intended. She has given me zero issues in 3 months that I've owned her. My family and I are in love with the new addition to the family.

http://s107.photobucket.com/user/Senorx470/media/6EFA567C-93AF-4E66-802E-AFEA77040185_zps2gkjhjrt.jpg.html] [/URL]

The latest update: I bought some 33x10.5 BFG AT KO2s on some FJ40 steelies. I also ordered the OME heavy/heavy deluxe Suspension from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters which should be arriving shortly. I also have to add the pleasant experience I had with Cruiser Outfitters when ordering my Suspension. Bryce answered every question I had and custom tailored the Suspension package with my intended use for the vehicle.
IMG_5204.JPG
IMG_5215.JPG

Last edited:
The latest update: I bought some 33x10.5 BFG AT KO2s on some FJ40 steelies. I also ordered the OME heavy/heavy deluxe Suspension from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters which should be arriving shortly. I also have to add the pleasant experience I had with Cruiser Outfitters when ordering my Suspension. Bryce answered every question I had and custom tailored the Suspension package with my intended use for the vehicle.

http://s107.photobucket.com/user/Senorx470/media/36246E66-949F-45EE-BB9D-1BBC323A320C_zpshy6dbrle.jpg.html

http://s107.photobucket.com/user/Senorx470/media/8A94F406-2A46-47F6-BED3-AF58EFC5D44E_zpsyqz9grs8.jpg.html

Looks killer!! Did you get the 40 hub caps too? Gonna be a sweet ride.

Nice dude... that is going to look awesome! Nothing quite like the 40 steelies with caps. Best next to the stock 60 rims.

My truck was originally from AZ as well then TX. The perfect place to buy a truck like this. It looks fantastic, enjoy!

where did you get the tires installed? I have some 33's, but I doubt Discount will mount them for me.

I got my 33x10.5's to steelies mounted in one of the tire shops in the zarzamora/culebra area, around $60 for all 5 mounted and balanced.

Looks great, man!

Hey, where did you get the tires installed? I have some 33's, but I doubt Discount will mount them for me.

I'd also go to a mom and pop shop. Discount gave me some lip about mounting them, but the manager eventually mounted them. I've spent about 4K at that Discount Tire. Maybe that had something to do with it? LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom