hundy fan clutch - should I re-oil for idle temps? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The viscosity of the fluid is totally dependent on the design of the fan clutch. The general rule of thumb is that the more shearing area for the fluid, the less cst you need, but valve design also plays into it heavily.

For the 80, there are three main clutch types:

The Aisin black hub, which was installed by the factory on 93-95 models and has a lot of shearing area, in addition to what I would call a more aggressive valve design. These generally don’t need to go above 15k, sometimes as high as 20k, but that’s rare. The clutch will pull air hard from the moment it comes “on” given the little boot-shapes design of the valve opening.

The Eaton, which I’ve seen on most OBD II (95-97) 80s has a lot of shearing area, but a more refined valve design. The valve slowly comes on, leaving it’s largest opening for the very last and thus having probably the most desirable characteristics if you’re looking to avoid a loud roar. The two valve openings are also next to each other, versus 180° out as on the Aisin clutches. These clutches seem to like somewhere between 20k and 30k at the high end and adjusting the valve temperature is a bit trickier because it involved bending the bi-metal spring instead of adjusting a plate with two screws. Still, I’ve seen them work with fantastic results.

The Aisin blue hub is the most common, the only one of the three which can be purchased new and has the least shearing area of the bunch. The valve design, while slightly different and updated compared to the black hub, still comes on more aggressively than the Eaton which equates to a very strong clutch when the viscosity of the silicone is further stepped up. These seem to do well when given 25k at the low end, up to 30k+ on the high end.

I’ve tuned all three clutches with good success.

I’ve done a few Aisin clutches for the hundy and 4runners and have found that the design falls into one of the two Aisin categories above, so I tune accordingly, usually setting the valve on any clutch to ~120° for the first opening, using a thermocouple.

I will probably give you guys a call. I changed the fluid to a 15,000 CST but I seem to be overheating up steep hills. All new coolant components and many flushes. The fan clutch is new as well, but I dont really hear any "loud " roaring on start up. I mean its loud but how loud should it be?

How loud depends on what’s in the clutch and the condition of the rest of the cooling system. Shoot me a PM if you want the address.

The viscosity of the fluid is totally dependent on the design of the fan clutch. The general rule of thumb is that the more shearing area for the fluid, the less cst you need, but valve design also plays into it heavily.

For the 80, there are three main clutch types:

The Aisin black hub, which was installed by the factory on 93-95 models and has a lot of shearing area, in addition to what I would call a more aggressive valve design. These generally don’t need to go above 15k, sometimes as high as 20k, but that’s rare. The clutch will pull air hard from the moment it comes “on” given the little boot-shapes design of the valve opening.

The Eaton, which I’ve seen on most OBD II (95-97) 80s has a lot of shearing area, but a more refined valve design. The valve slowly comes on, leaving it’s largest opening for the very last and thus having probably the most desirable characteristics if you’re looking to avoid a loud roar. The two valve openings are also next to each other, versus 180° out as on the Aisin clutches. These clutches seem to like somewhere between 20k and 30k at the high end and adjusting the valve temperature is a bit trickier because it involved bending the bi-metal spring instead of adjusting a plate with two screws. Still, I’ve seen them work with fantastic results.

The Aisin blue hub is the most common, the only one of the three which can be purchased new and has the least shearing area of the bunch. The valve design, while slightly different and updated compared to the black hub, still comes on more aggressively than the Eaton which equates to a very strong clutch when the viscosity of the silicone is further stepped up. These seem to do well when given 25k at the low end, up to 30k+ on the high end.

I’ve tuned all three clutches with good success.

I’ve done a few Aisin clutches for the hundy and 4runners and have found that the design falls into one of the two Aisin categories above, so I tune accordingly, usually setting the valve on any clutch to ~120° for the first opening, using a thermocouple.

Can you share the reasoning for the 120 deg opening point as opposed to the typical 95 deg that most folks go with on the 80 blue? I just set my 80 blue hub to 95deg and 30k cst and was considering doing the same to the 100

Any ideas what temperature was set to on those hundy clutches before you tuned them?

One was pretty close, around 118°, the other was something like 138°.

Can you share the reasoning for the 120 deg opening point as opposed to the typical 95 deg that most folks go with on the 80 blue? I just set my 80 blue hub to 95deg and 30k cst and was considering doing the same to the 100

The short answer is because Kevin Patterson (Tools R Us) said so. He taught me everything I know about tuning the fan clutches and he probably had more experience with testing various setups on 40s, 60s, 80s, 100s, mini trucks, 4runners, et al than anyone I know, so he had the real-world experience to back up his knowledge on the subject.

The longer answer is that the silicone in the clutch is susceptible to fatigue in situations where it is being worked too hard, so setting the valve in the optimal position to minimize that is going to help the longevity of the fluid on long single drives, as well as the overall service life in the clutch. Case in point; I once tried turning the valve all the way down on a blue hub, hit the road bound for Moab. On the drive to Payson from Phoenix, it never went above 186°. Same with the drive from Payson to Heber, where it suddenly hit 200°, seemingly out of nowhere. Letting it sit for 10 minutes it was right back to normal (silicone recovers quickly), until we got into Blanding and it did the same thing. No roaring of the fan, the silicone was fatigued and needed to sit. It wasn’t even warm outside, but closer to 40° ambient. Once the silicone becomes overworked it reduces its capability down to something like 10% efficiency. Letting it rest helps it recover and return to normal, but I didn’t care for spending my whole trip doing the GM thing, popping the hood at every gas station.

An IR gun pointed at the AC condenser during hot summer days usually shows around 150°, whether the truck is running hot or not, so no real concern with setting the valve all the way down to 95° when all it’s going to do is come on sooner, whip the fluid and potentially fatigue it.

The short answer is because Kevin Patterson (Tools R Us) said so. He taught me everything I know about tuning the fan clutches and he probably had more experience with testing various setups on 40s, 60s, 80s, 100s, mini trucks, 4runners, et al than anyone I know, so he had the real-world experience to back up his knowledge on the subject.

The longer answer is that the silicone in the clutch is susceptible to fatigue in situations where it is being worked too hard, so setting the valve in the optimal position to minimize that is going to help the longevity of the fluid on long single drives, as well as the overall service life in the clutch. Case in point; I once tried turning the valve all the way down on a blue hub, hit the road bound for Moab. On the drive to Payson from Phoenix, it never went above 186°. Same with the drive from Payson to Heber, where it suddenly hit 200°, seemingly out of nowhere. Letting it sit for 10 minutes it was right back to normal (silicone recovers quickly), until we got into Blanding and it did the same thing. No roaring of the fan, the silicone was fatigued and needed to sit. It wasn’t even warm outside, but closer to 40° ambient. Once the silicone becomes overworked it reduces its capability down to something like 10% efficiency. Letting it rest helps it recover and return to normal, but I didn’t care for spending my whole trip doing the GM thing, popping the hood at every gas station.

An IR gun pointed at the AC condenser during hot summer days usually shows around 150°, whether the truck is running hot or not, so no real concern with setting the valve all the way down to 95° when all it’s going to do is come on sooner, whip the fluid and potentially fatigue it.

Wish I knew that this weekend! What are they typically set at from the factory, 150? Surprised to hear that the silicon fatigues, it must just be that the fluid is overheating?

Wish I knew that this weekend! What are they typically set at from the factory, 150? Surprised to hear that the silicon fatigues, it must just be that the fluid is overheating?

In conversations with Kevin and the ones I’ve checked myself, the newer blue hubs are typically a wider variety than one would expect. My guess is they get it “close enough” if they’re even checked at all, then ship it.

Following up.
I did change my hundy's blue hub clutch fan to 30K CST...took about 50cc...I also did adjust the aperture to ~100F. It was convenient that the shop ambient temperature was a 100F that day. #AZBenefits

I have been using it for a couple of weeks including a trip down to San Carlos (MX), 8 hours each way. My "in-motion" temperatures are lower by a few degrees (2-5F). My stationary/idling temps are lower but I think they will still climb above 186F to find an equilibrium based on ambient temp. I expected more of a difference at parked idle.

There is definitely more fan "roar" when turned on cold and when air temps are warm.

I am pleased with the change and the knowledge that I have increased air flow (a lot more) through the heat exchangers.

Following up.
I did change my hundy's blue hub clutch fan to 30K CST...took about 50cc...I also did adjust the aperture to ~100F. It was convenient that the shop ambient temperature was a 100F that day. #AZBenefits

I have been using it for a couple of weeks including a trip down to San Carlos (MX), 8 hours each way. My "in-motion" temperatures are lower by a few degrees (2-5F). My stationary/idling temps are lower but I think they will still climb above 186F to find an equilibrium based on ambient temp. I expected more of a difference at parked idle.

There is definitely more fan "roar" when turned on cold and when air temps are warm.

I am pleased with the change and the knowledge that I have increased air flow (a lot more) through the heat exchangers.
I’ll be doing my 100 the same, 30k, except i’m not going to fiddle with the temp adjustment.

I’ll be doing my 100 the same, 30k, except i’m not going to fiddle with the temp adjustment.

Cool (pun intended). Will be interested in your parked at idle results if you see in change.
PS - still using your old rims and tires on my trailer. Took it all the way up to South Dakota to Mt Rushmore and over to Olympic NP on a Summer of CV-19 3.5k mile road trip.

Cool (pun intended). Will be interested in your parked at idle results if you see in change.
PS - still using your old rims and tires on my trailer. Took it all the way up to South Dakota to Mt Rushmore and over to Olympic NP on a Summer of CV-19 3.5k mile road trip.

Like this. Big Horn National Forest. Highly recommended! A bear came through here the next morning...then later moose.

1602526721859.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom