Hundred in the Hills - my own personal CO adventure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Day 6: Last Dollar Road

IMG_5970.JPG

IMG_5975.JPG

IMG_5997.JPG

IMG_5998.JPG

Day 6: Telluride ... I found my DREAM Cruiser!

IMG_6003.JPG

IMG_6004.JPG

IMG_6005.JPG

Day 6 continued: Bolam Pass (HUGELY underrated pass). Graysill Mines are at the top. Graysill was primarily used to mine and separate Vanadium (Red Cake) and Uranium (Yellow Cake). The yellow cake from Graysill was used in the first atomic bomb. The mine is no longer inhabited as radon gas is still present. The Forest Service recommends only passing through, no camping around the mines.

IMG_6016.JPG

IMG_6021.JPG

IMG_6031.JPG

IMG_6034.JPG

IMG_6039.JPG

Man, you fit a lot into that week! I'm looking forward to getting back out there as soon as possible.

Thanks for sharing your trip. Inspirational stuff in here for sure, makes my mission to do HIH next year that much more focused!

Your truck doesn't seem too weighed down. Was it just you? Did you tent or sleep in the vehicle?

rjones

Thanks for sharing your trip. Inspirational stuff in here for sure, makes my mission to do HIH next year that much more focused!

Your truck doesn't seem too weighed down. Was it just you? Did you tent or sleep in the vehicle?

rjones

I'm definitely doing HIH next year. Went in to this a little unsure about "high" passes. Came out feeling WAY more confident and sure-footed. Mosquito was loose rock the whole way with sharp rises in the switchbacks. Ran into traffic on the way down and learned how to squeeze on shelf roads. Corkscrew gave me the confidence to navigate tight uphill switchbacks in 4LO using multi-point turns. Imogene helped me learn to pick lines and handle drop-offs.

LX wasn't too overloaded. It was just my dad and myself. No RTT. Just our hiking gear, clothes, tent, sleeping bags and all my roadside tools (including extra fluids, belts and small replacement parts). Probably 500lbs between all the gear and the two of us. AHC handled everything flawlessly.

Awesome stuff!! Would love to see the complete GPS track of all your routes if you did indeed track the trip. For a local, that would be fun to hop in and out of your route on weekends.

Wow.

Minnesota is great, but not like this.

Just seeing this thread. Great job on the photos and capturing the majestic SJs.

Questions: How do you reckon that Taco got off track? Was he trying to accommodate uphill traffic or avoid the rock bluff? That portion of looks pretty wide.

I've spent a lot of time motorcycling and 4x4ing the SJs over the last five years. My only big concerns with 4x4 are running into traffic that puts you close to the edge or having a shelf road blow out like that goat f near Cumberland Pass last summer.

Wow these are some great photos. I didn't see them before now. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

any news on this years HIH signups?? I want to go something awful

No word as of yet. There is a scheduling conflict with some big jeep event I think. Probably know more in March. One thing for sure.....I'm going up again this year and doing my own if HIH8 is no-go. Got a few guys here in Austin that would likely make the trip if organized :) @Austin Hot Shoe @Ed of house LX470 Figure worst case, we get a few guys together and meet up. Could still be a blast.

Fantastic work on the rescue. Love hearing about great and safe rescues like this.

I'm going up again this year and doing my own if HIH8 is no-go. Got a few guys here in Austin that would likely make the trip if organized :) @Austin Hot Shoe @Ed of house LX470 Figure worst case, we get a few guys together and meet up. Could still be a blast.

Count me @rjones in on wanting to be involved if this does happen this way. I really want to do these trails or a HIH style trip this year and would prefer to do so with other 100's with experience of some sort!

Cheers,
rjones

No word as of yet. There is a scheduling conflict with some big jeep event I think. Probably know more in March. One thing for sure.....I'm going up again this year and doing my own if HIH8 is no-go. Got a few guys here in Austin that would likely make the trip if organized :) @Austin Hot Shoe @Ed of house LX470 Figure worst case, we get a few guys together and meet up. Could still be a blast.
Count me in too, I'd make the trip up from AZ

Great trip and great pics, i'm heading out that way myself in May, i'm hoping telluride won't be buried under 10 feet of snow at that time.

I'd love to go also, but this year it wont be possible. I will stay tuned to the Centex crowd to see if next year will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom