Builds Hundo Family Truckster (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I lived in Farmington, NM for a little bit. Great off-roading there all over the place just a minute or two from just about any part of town!!! I miss taking my 100 Series out for a little off-roading during my lunch hour!

If you are ever looking for a shop to do some work, I highly suggest Truck Treats Auto & Offroad, they are sandwiched between San Juan Blvd and Main. The shop definitely looks like it is more geared for the lifted truck market, which is pretty popular in that area, but the shop owner is a Cruiser guy.

Nice work on your rig by the way!

I lived in Farmington, NM for a little bit. Great off-roading there all over the place just a minute or two from just about any part of town!!! I miss taking my 100 Series out for a little off-roading during my lunch hour!

If you are ever looking for a shop to do some work, I highly suggest Truck Treats Auto & Offroad, they are sandwiched between San Juan Blvd and Main. The shop definitely looks like it is more geared for the lifted truck market, which is pretty popular in that area, but the shop owner is a Cruiser guy.

Nice work on your rig by the way!

I concur, and with the close access to Moab and the trails around Silverton/Ouray, its great. The city has been putting a ton of effort into advancing the OHV and outdoor recreation in the area and it is showing.

checking TRE's and found this. P/O must have been a shade tree mechanic as well.

IMG_20190619_171010589.jpg

What color PastiDip did you use for the emblems? I've got nearly and identical rig, faded and peaking gold emblems and all. They need a repaint and I was considering plasti-dipping them as well.

Gun Metal Gray, no glossifier. The rear emblems you tape around and then do 3-4 coats of dip then peel off with a sharpened wood skewer, The front has 3 screws on the inside of the grill to remove it. A shorty screw driver makes it easy.

Amazon product ASIN B008J20R1S

Last edited:
Rotopax 2 gallon water can seems to fit in there just about perfect. 2 gallon fuel one was back ordered. Assuming they weigh 20 lbs each when full I should be able to get away with a box for most of the recovery gear up there as well. I believe its 300 lbs limit on the OEM rack so I should be within the normal operating range until I can get one of the Prinsu racks. I'm thinking that spare parts up there may be a stretch. Additionally, for the sake of weight distribution I think I will switch the Rotopax and the boards since the hi lift weighs quite a bit more than axe and shovel.

Basket - 40 lbs est.
Hi-lift 50 lbs est.
Shovel and Axe 30 lbs est.
2 full Rotopax - 2 gallon each 40 lbs
Traction Boards - 20 lbs est.
Recovery gear - 50 lbs est.
Planned light bar - 15 lbs est.

Total - 245 pounds

Last edited:
I love how you call it the family truckster. I too embody Clark Griswold and refer to my hopefully-trustworthy family hauler in the same way.

Got the last Rotopax in, gas, water and extra water proof storage. The storage perfectly fit some stuff I had in the recovery bag. Making room for more tools and recovery gear. The storage one has Duct tape, water filter and extra cartridge, headlamps, emergency solar blankets and rain ponchos for now. I'm not OCD but if I were, the fitment of these in the basket would make me happy.

Above:

From the side:

How did you end up freshening the underside? I live in SF and bought my truck rust free and now the incoming fog is starting to rust the truck and driving me nuts!

How did you end up freshening the underside? I live in SF and bought my truck rust free and now the incoming fog is starting to rust the truck and driving me nuts!

Pressure wash and scrub (ideally with a wire brush), then use a product like Rust Tough paint. I used the same method with the frame, front OEM skid plate and most of the cross-members and supports. A lot of people swear by Por 15 as well.

Last edited:
While I am not a huge fan of the bug deflectors on the hood, it is evident that it prevents most if not all rock damage. The OEM one was pretty rough looking even after polishing with plastic polish so i decided to paint it with Fusion plastic paint (10 year old can).

Before:

After:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom