Huge engine oil leak! help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just happened to notice it randomly. Checked my oil this morning and it was mid way on the hatching on the dipstick. Drive about 150 miles and a few hours went up to my car and noticed the whole underside soaked. It’s all over everything on the drivers side lower half. Can’t tell where it came from. Oil level is at the very bottom of the hatching on the dip stick now.

Please help me figure out what the heck happened!

A616FD0F-2965-4404-9CED-3FEF7900757E.jpeg

6544C7E4-15F7-48F7-A930-1242C1638E6B.jpeg

7A76F531-01AE-4D15-8F73-D65F8DC9E05A.jpeg

Something had to hit your oil filter to dent it like that.

That was when I installed it. But I drove about 2500 miles since I’ve changed my oil and this morning the level was normal. Just now it’s super low.

B08CF547-D755-471E-805A-A69331F8468C.jpeg

0DB8B0F1-32FD-4F5C-9BBF-2FA555C8B929.jpeg

52FC8F3C-A344-4975-B246-2D1768DECCBC.jpeg

my guess was the filter also. f
clean it all up, fill the engine to normal level and start it and see where it's coming from.

Ok. I was afraid of starting the engine with so little oil but I did and it is coming out of that filter crack! It’s been like that for 2500 miles, why would it just now spring a leak? Anyway, it comes out about one drop every few seconds. Oil is at the low mark on the dipstick. Can I go 10 miles like this to autozone?

My guess is that since it was creased it was very weak. It would push out a little under higher rpms and back in at lower rpms. The back and fourth all the time finally caused it to crack.

If it were me I wouldn't drive it without adding oil, unless I just had to.

Edit:
When you are driving it at higher rpm you will have more oil pressure and lose oil faster.

Ok. I was afraid of starting the engine with so little oil but I did and it is coming out of that filter crack! It’s been like that for 2500 miles, why would it just now spring a leak? Anyway, it comes out about one drop every few seconds. Oil is at the low mark on the dipstick. Can I go 10 miles like this to autozone?
I wouldn't want to recommend driving low on oil, but put down the 24" pipe wrench when tightening the filter.

Lmfao I didn’t use a 24” pipe. Man i used just an oil filter wrench and didn’t notice that it slipped off on me and dug into the side of it. Frankly I was kinda shocked by how little force it took to puncture that thin thin metal.

^^^ Ditto. Oil filters need shockingly little tightening force to seal and stay on. Read the cardboard box your oil filter comes in some time if you're bored. Generally something along the lines of spin on until rubber gasket contacts the base, then turn 2/3 to 3/4 turn more.

Lmfao I didn’t use a 24” pipe. Man i used just an oil filter wrench and didn’t notice that it slipped off on me and dug into the side of it. Frankly I was kinda shocked by how little force it took to puncture that thin thin metal.
You're probably fine driving 10 miles to Autozone. At the bottom of the hatch marks = quart low. Your 2UZ should hold about 7.2 quarts. They actually have a deal right now. $34 nets you a big jug of oil and a filter.

I def would have suspected the oil filter before anything else. Before I saw the photos, I was suspecting that the gasket may have gotten deformed when it was installed. Or, I've seen a shop install a filter and didn't notice that the gasket was still stuck to the oil filter housing, then they put a new filter on right on top of the old gasket. It held for a little while until the owner ran it down at highway speed and the double stacked gaskets blew out.

You should be ok driving it slowly a few miles. Just watch you oil pressure and make sure it doesn't drop to zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom