Hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys changed my Rotors and brake pads yesterday just noticed the left hand side hub is hotter than the right should i be worried

Maybe you gotta bleed your brakes.

Might have some air in the right side causing it to not brake as hard.... Just a thought

hi m8 the car is braking fine nice n tight

Did you install 100 series pads? They can sometimes fit too tightly and drag on the rotor overheating the brakes on one side.

Caliper could be sticking. Are the calipers original/old?
Hi man not sure theres no rub noises comming from it wen i put the rotor on yesterday i did the spin check with the caliper on n its the origional caliper and the only thing that i did was the pads both sides and bleed the brake system

Wheel bearings to tight? Go drive it 10 or 15 miles and make sure to do a few of the miles at highway speeds and avoid heavy braking. When you park get out and feel the hub. If the hub is too hot to touch for 30 seconds than something is wrong. If the wheel bearings are too tight it can definitely make the hub too hot to touch.

Wheel bearings to tight? Go drive it 10 or 15 miles and make sure to do a few of the miles at highway speeds and avoid heavy braking. When you park get out and feel the hub. If the hub is too hot to touch for 30 seconds than something is wrong. If the wheel bearings are too tight it can definitely make the hub too hot to touch.
Yeah i was thinking that might be the problem the other 1 is fine cause i end up going back over n loosening the inside nut that hold the bearing and that washer in place i might have over tightened it with my hands 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Yeah i was thinking that might be the problem the other 1 is fine cause i end up going back over n loosening the inside nut that hold the bearing and that washer in place i might have over tightened it with my hands 🙄🙄🙄🙄
There is no way that you over torqued the wheel bearings with your hands alone. Simply torque the inner nut to 25ftlbs and lock it down with the second nut. Some of us with larger tires run 30ftlbs. This is a simple and proven method.

Last edited:
There is no way that you over torqued the wheel bearings with your hands alone. Simply torque the inner nut to 25ftlbs and lock it down with the second nut. Some of us with larger tire run 30ftlbs. This is a simple and proven method.
Thanks m8 yeah i have 35s

Yeah agree with post above, if you hand tightened the inner bearing nut it is not over tight and probably cant be torqued to spec with just a hand. If it is overheating at all I would suspect the pad is dragging on the rotor.

Like @Funner mentioned, sometimes there seems to be issues with pad thickness. I’ve had it where I had to run one for awhile on one side, then move it to the other before it would fit.

Also, I had an issue with my ABS actuator causing drag on one front rotor. It started out slight, then it started grabbing/pulsing as I came to a stop even though there was no reason for it to actuate, other times it started randomly applying pressure and that side would get warm. Finally deleted it. The actuator seemed like it was corroded inside. Nasty. Maybe keep an eye on that, if you can’t get it sorted.

Did you verify the sliding pins were free in their holes? If you used new pins, the holes should still be cleaned before installing the pins, so the caliper(s) don't stick and slide freely as designed. FWIW, I think denatured alcohol works best, and it's waaaay cheaper than Brakleen.

If you reused the pins, they definitely need to be cleaned and polished, before you reinstall them. Toyota lists these as non-reusable parts, but I think that's lawyer talk, because they're brake components. The caliper mounting bolts are also non-reusable parts. For the same reason, I expect.

Also make sure you're greased up if you haven't. Not sure how likely that is to contribute to what you're seeing but it can't help.

Yeah agree with post above, if you hand tightened the inner bearing nut it is not over tight and probably cant be torqued to spec with just a hand. If it is overheating at all I would suspect the pad is dragging on the rotor.
Hi mate thanks for that i will be looking at it later today jus a double check on pads n there is no dragging on rotor but ill check that again today m8 better off getting it done before long trips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom