Hubs in the Winter, On or Off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I read somewhere (may have been this forum) some one said you could leave the hubs turned on during the Winter and just shift in and out of 4WD as needed. Wouldn't this cause a problem driving on the highway?

No problems at all other than a bit of wear on axle components, however since most of the early (thru 78) 40's were shipped with drive plates, I would not worry about it.

Butch

as long as you don't engage the front axle(by shifting into high or low) on the highway its no problem at all, you might see a slight drop in milage but and a bit more wear on the front axle parts but thats it. FWIW fj40/45/55 did not come with locking hubs, they are all sent from japan with drive plates(fixed hubs) often the dealer would add locking hubs. My 82 fj40 spent from 1982-2003 with drive plates installed on the front, I swaped to Aisin hubs when I went thru the front axle, which I was pleasently suprised was not in need of any major service even with the front end having been locked in for 130,000 miles.

Oh, one other thing, you might find when you lock the hubs that you get some added vibrations.....this is telling you need U-joint or other front end service, you prolly wouldn't notice this if you just lock the hubs when wheelin, but drivin 60mph you might(or might not) notice.

So in short.......lockem up if you want.

John H

What do the drive plates do that makes it not a concern?

[quote author=Texican link=board=1;threadid=6939;start=msg57177#msg57177 date=1067565061]
No problems at all other than a bit of wear on axle components, however since most of the early (thru 78) 40's were shipped with drive plates, I would not worry about it.

Butch
[/quote]

drive plates thru 83 on fj40's as standard.

John H

[quote author=romerk link=board=1;threadid=6939;start=msg57181#msg57181 date=1067565399]
[/quote]

Drive plates are the same basic thing as a locked hub.
Butch

[quote author=romerk link=board=1;threadid=6939;start=msg57181#msg57181 date=1067565399]
[/quote]

they do nothing, its a fixed hub, just like if you locked your hubs. Just saying that my 82 fj40 went 130k with the front hubs locked with no ill effects. Basicly the same a 80 series is set up, the front axle(and driveshaft) is always turning.

John H

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=6939;start=msg57183#msg57183 date=1067565479]
drive plates thru 83 on fj40's as standard.

John H
[/quote]

Now you are just askin' for some yahoo to post up about his FJ40 he picked up off the boat with Asins..... :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Butch

[quote author=Texican link=board=1;threadid=6939;start=msg57188#msg57188 date=1067565781]
Now you are just askin' for some yahoo to post up about his FJ40 he picked up off the boat with Asins..... :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Butch
[/quote]

LOL :) it;s possible that some were shiped with Asco's(same as Aisin, the name changed to Aisin in the early/mid 1980's)I know fj55's had Asco/Aisins as optioal in 1976, before 40's had them(or showed them as an option). Somewere I even show Aisin's were standard on fj55's. I can also see Aisin installed at the port, prolly in the late 70's). My other 82 fj40 came with the papers from the dealer showing how to replace the driveplates and install the Asco locking hubs.

oh and a pic of a drive plate

36952243.jpg

drive plate were even used on fj60/2 in some markets, heck drum front ends were a possible option as late as 1988. You can use 80 series drive plates on a disc brake 40 BTW, they are cheaper than the actaully fj40 drive plates.

John H

Does anyone have pictures of Aisen/Asco hubs? I took off slightly leaking lockables and replaced them with Warns, but they seem to have no imprint on them and I always wondered what kind they are.

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=6939;start=msg57202#msg57202 date=1067569937]
Does anyone have pictures of Aisen/Asco hubs? I took off slightly leaking lockables and replaced them with Warns, but they seem to have no imprint on them and I always wondered what kind they are.
[/quote]

not handy, but the hub dial on both are stamped Aisin or Asco.

Hi, John,

On this one, the hub dials are red-pink and pink-fading-to-white. Couldn't say if anything was ever stamped on them, but it doesn't look like it.

they look like this
4hubs.jpg

the one on the top right is the closest, it;s mini truck hub.

Hmm. Not those. Does it ring a bell? I'd like to fix and sell them, but I don't know what they are to get a repair kit.

hmmm, they came of a drum, corse spline axle? never seen em before, alsmost look like Ford hubs?

John

Yep, drum. Coarse spline. Seemed to work fine, except for seals leaking.

Nope....not Aisins.

course spline Aisins look like this :p

Hey, can you post a bigger pic?

I'm havin trouble seeing that one! :flipoff2:

J/K I do the same thing (that's why I don't post them). :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom