Hubcap Cleanup/Restore (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If this has already been covered, please forgive me. But I've looked and haven't found anything.

What do y'all think is the best way to cleanup and restore OEM hubcaps? Mine have some surface rust - both inside and out. Think they can handle a light sandblast? Or am I better off just sanding them by hand? Of course, I won't be able to get to the inside that way.

And what about coating them afterwards? I'm wondering if I can find any particular paints that will shine enough to look original.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

@foreputt

Since new hubcaps can be had for $22 - $25 (OEM list price) each. Why not buy new?

If you prefer elbow grease, I suggest this polish. This shows a before and after. I used this product on the chrome plated pivot for the vent wing windows:

chrome polish.jpg

Last edited:
Going on ten years ago bought some hubcaps for dirt cheap. Worked on them for a while but never finished. At this point they would be candidates for a professional restore.
2011-10-11_09-34-02_437.jpg
2011-10-12_10-48-11_260.jpg
2011-10-12_16-01-19_545.jpg

Unless things have changed wouldn't put a lot of effort in the style new hubcaps. Last time I bought them they were about $15 apiece.

Good points. I honestly hadn't looked at the cost of them...I was guessing they'd be about $50 per ea.

Maybe I'll buy four new ones for the truck and then polish up one of mine for the spare. Thanks for the info.

Part number for the is solid cap is 42621-60010. Those with the hole for the front axle with lockout hubs is 42621-60020. Searched the numbers and wa able to find both cheap. $15.09 for the solid one and $15.51 one with the hole from one dealer. Did see prices as high right at $40. List is in the $22 range. Calling local dealers have found most charge list or well above over the phone for parts. Deals are found on the internet.

What year? I don’t think Acorns are available from Toyota anymore. There was/is a third party person selling repops, out of San Fran iirc.

Obviously 😆.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom