Hub Socket ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I've done more research, and now understand the knuckle rebuild process better. One more ?-
Do I need a "hub socket" to correctly perform the knuckle rebuild?
I heard someone mention it, and saw it on the Cruiser Outfitters site along with their other axle stuff.
A quick reply is much appreciated as I am rush ordering the parts tomorrow so I can do the rebuild this weekend in time to go wheelin with my new TSL's :D :D
P.S. Thanks to whoever mentioned Cruiser Outfitters, I'm gonna go with them for the parts for the rebuild.

Bailey,
I had a mechanic friend of mine help me with mine and he happened to have a 2 1/4" socket I believe, that worked just fine. Now that's in the league of truck, tractor and heavy equipment mechanics, but there is also one for sale on ebay right now. No, I'm not the seller, nor do I know the seller.
But, in Georgia, I'll bet you know someone who works on something big enough to own a 2 1/4" socket. It ain't metric, but it works.
GL
Degnol :)

[quote author=Degnol link=board=1;threadid=4297;start=0#msg31889 date=1060744616]
Bailey,
I had a mechanic friend of mine help me with mine and he happened to have a 2 1/4" socket I believe, that worked just fine. Now that's in the league of truck, tractor and heavy equipment mechanics, but there is also one for sale on ebay right now. No, I'm not the seller, nor do I know the seller.
But, in Georgia, I'll bet you know someone who works on something big enough to own a 2 1/4" socket. It ain't metric, but it works.
GL
Degnol :)
[/quote]
I'm taking that as a yes.
I will be doing this with my mechanic to get it done faster, (he has a lift and a LOT more knowledge than I, and I'll still get the experience and know-how). I bet he has a socket that big, but just to be sure I'll go ahead and order one for myself. Thanks for the info. :D

If you're ordering one for the 'Cruiser order a 55mm socket.

I ordered the one from SOR.com about 10 years ago (before the .com portion even existed) and have used it constantly since. Cheap tool, and one you want to carry with you for trail repairs.

so is it 54 or 55 mm?

Its definately 54mm

Doesn't matter cause I'm buying from Cruiser Outfitters, and they damn sure better have it right. :D

OH $H!T !!!!! :mad:
I had everything figured out and then I noticed that they hub socket only fits 9/75 and up. Well I got a '74. What should I do? Try to find a 2 1/2" or is that for post front drum cruisers only too?

IIRC it is equivalent to a 2 1/8" socket. For the same price as a stamped metal socket you can have Craftsman.

BTW - The socket is NOT needed for a knuckle rebuild. However if the truck is new to you, you should do the wheel bearings in which case you will need it.

HTH,

Jim

Ok, well your the first to say that I need to do my wheel bearings regardless. I'll inspect them and if they are bad, I'll just go Napa.
I had to try both HOTO and Cruiser Outfitters for coarse spline knuckle rebuild kits, when eventually I had to break down and go SOR. :'( Went ahead and got their socket. Thanks for the input guys.

FWIW Snap On/Blue Point has as very nice hub socket, much better than the SOR socket(I got one of them as well) the Snap On is 54mm and $16, you need an 1/2 to3/4 adapter.

I have had no luck using standard sockets. Hub sockets have narrow walls so they will fit in the hole. TPI has the best I have seen for the price. SOR are thin and cheap. 2 sizes, one for drums and the other for disk. It is also essential to have a fish scale/torque wrench to set bearing pre-load.

I got mine at Carquest. I'm betting it was a damn sight cheaper than SOR. Fits the 40, the mini and the 80. It is WAY better than channel locks or a chisel. I can't remember the size, 50-something, but it said "for Toyota" on the package.

I wonder if it'll fit the D44 in the T100?

For future referances, Robert has the Knuckle kits for about $80....I chose to buy the "steering kit" (Knuckle kit, stabilizer and tie rod kit ) for even a little more savings. (I think the 40 version has the center arm rebuild also)

http://www.heartoftexasoffroad.com/products.htm

Much cheeper than SOR (and he actually charges what the shipping is)

No affiliation other than its nice to have a vendor who has good prices and doesn't screw you on quality or shipping.

Yep, I was going to go with either HOT or Cruiser Outfitters, but neither of them had the drum brake knuckle kits in stock, so I had to go back to ol SOR who has everything, but for a price. ::)

I picked up a $6 OTC one from tooldesk.com or some scab net site. They were on clearance with 1/2" drive (most are 3/4"). I ordered a bunch extra for club members and gave them away as thank yous for people helping me. :D HAHA - extra karma points for Junk. :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom