Hub socket size

I wouldn't buy one of the stamped steel ones except for occasional trail use. That said, thats what I use. :slap:
They wear out very fast, go to sears, etc and buy a good one. Just make sure the walls are not too thick so it will still fit inside the hub.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=9221;start=msg80411#msg80411 date=1072392863]
I wouldn't buy one of the stamped steel ones except for occasional trail use. That said, thats what I use. :slap:
They wear out very fast, go to sears, etc and buy a good one. Just make sure the walls are not too thick so it will still fit inside the hub.
[/quote]

Actually Bailey, that's my plan since I got a gift card for there today. I remember someone saying a 2 1/8" socket from sears worked close enough. Just trying to confirm if that was the size because I don't care for the stamped ones either, looks like they could deform easily.

54mm=2.125 inches, or 2 1/8".

The 1/2" drive hole on my stamped one is actually deforming, pretty soon I'll have to go out and buy a sears one as well. If you don't already have any, get some ratcheting wrenches while you're there, they are the shiznit. Pricey, but sometimes irreplaceable.

Oh yeah, do you have a service manual? There is a special torque sequence for the nuts, and since you were using channel locks before makes me think you may have not been too exact on that in the past. ;)

denis

(O) toyota nut (O)
[quote author=dieselcruiserhead link=board=1;threadid=9221;start=msg80395#msg80395 date=1072382467]
it you are going to get one I would just order one. Also difference between 54 and 50 MM is minimal, I would just use the 54mm one then it's "universal."
[/quote]

IIRC, the 54 mm doesn't fit the opening in the early hub. at least my home-made 54mm doesn't fit my 1975 hub. careful with this ;) :D

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=9221;start=msg80468#msg80468 date=1072411377]
Oh yeah, do you have a service manual? There is a special torque sequence for the nuts, and since you were using channel locks before makes me think you may have not been too exact on that in the past. ;)
[/quote]

Torque specs, what's that? I do the old tighten and spin manuver, that's how I was taught years ago, and yeah I do have the service manual, mine's all greasy and torn though. I bought a set of the gearwrenches about a year ago, you're right, they are the bomb.

Denis-That is my concern too. I'll take a look at it and see how tight it will be.

Thanks guys :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom