1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hub socket size

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by fsusteve, Dec 25, 2003.

1. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey guys, can't find it in tech, what is the size hub socket for 1975 drum brake front end. I think it's 2 1/8", but not sure. Tired of using channel locks. Thanks.

2. denis

denis (O) toyota nut (O) SILVER Star

early smaller spindle was 50mm or so, bigger was 54mm

3. hammerhead

hammerhead

I could swear mine says 54mm but I'm not at the shop to check.

4. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

it you are going to get one I would just order one. Also difference between 54 and 50 MM is minimal, I would just use the 54mm one then it's "universal." www.cruiseroutfitters.com sells them cheaper than where you can usually get them. Front disk rebuild kits are on sale there too FWIW...

5. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

I wouldn't buy one of the stamped steel ones except for occasional trail use. That said, thats what I use. :slap:
    They wear out very fast, go to sears, etc and buy a good one. Just make sure the walls are not too thick so it will still fit inside the hub.

6. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=9221;start=msg80411#msg80411 date=1072392863]
    I wouldn't buy one of the stamped steel ones except for occasional trail use. That said, thats what I use. :slap:
    They wear out very fast, go to sears, etc and buy a good one. Just make sure the walls are not too thick so it will still fit inside the hub.
    [/quote]

Actually Bailey, that's my plan since I got a gift card for there today. I remember someone saying a 2 1/8" socket from sears worked close enough. Just trying to confirm if that was the size because I don't care for the stamped ones either, looks like they could deform easily.

7. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

54mm=2.125 inches, or 2 1/8".

The 1/2" drive hole on my stamped one is actually deforming, pretty soon I'll have to go out and buy a sears one as well. If you don't already have any, get some ratcheting wrenches while you're there, they are the shiznit. Pricey, but sometimes irreplaceable.

8. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Oh yeah, do you have a service manual? There is a special torque sequence for the nuts, and since you were using channel locks before makes me think you may have not been too exact on that in the past. ;)

9. denis

denis (O) toyota nut (O) SILVER Star

[quote author=dieselcruiserhead link=board=1;threadid=9221;start=msg80395#msg80395 date=1072382467]
    it you are going to get one I would just order one. Also difference between 54 and 50 MM is minimal, I would just use the 54mm one then it's "universal."
    [/quote]

IIRC, the 54 mm doesn't fit the opening in the early hub. at least my home-made 54mm doesn't fit my 1975 hub. careful with this ;) :D

10. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=9221;start=msg80468#msg80468 date=1072411377]
    Oh yeah, do you have a service manual? There is a special torque sequence for the nuts, and since you were using channel locks before makes me think you may have not been too exact on that in the past. ;)
    [/quote]

Torque specs, what's that? I do the old tighten and spin manuver, that's how I was taught years ago, and yeah I do have the service manual, mine's all greasy and torn though. I bought a set of the gearwrenches about a year ago, you're right, they are the bomb.

Denis-That is my concern too. I'll take a look at it and see how tight it will be.

Thanks guys :beer: