Hub Socket question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
94 FZJ80 Front hub locknut and adjusting nut a 54 mm hub socket is to big. On most threads say a 54mm or 2 1/8 sae. It measures 2 1/16.
Question 1. Is 2 1/16 close to 52mm?
Question 2. Is 52 mm common for a hubsocket on a 94 FZJ80?
Question 3. where can I find one priced right?

Thanks for the help!

If you're sure the 54 is too big, get the nuts off and replace them. I've never heard of nor encountered one single hub wheel bearing nut on an 80 that was anything other than 54 mm, which equates to the 2 1/8". Someone may have ground yours down after having some problem with them.

-Spike

OK, the '94 FSM calls out SST 09607-60020 for adj/removal of (wheel bearing) adjusting nut. I have in my hand the SST. It measures 56 MM (2 & 3/16" SAE) inside tool diameter. I bought it at my local Mr. T shop and used this tool with no problems last time on my wheel bearings. The tool is marked: "oTc 09607 - 60020 - 01". So where is this "54 MM" coming from?

Last edited:
It comes from the size of the socket that fits the nuts. When the nut is that big and the torque that low, close is good enough, so it's entirely possible that a 56mm socket would work, which means that if a 54mm is too big for his nuts he's got the wrong size nuts on there, or the corners have been rounded off badly, or the nuts have been ground down.

-Spike

94 FZJ80 Front hub locknut and adjusting nut a 54 mm hub socket is to big. On most threads say a 54mm or 2 1/8 sae. It measures 2 1/16.
Question 1. Is 2 1/16 close to 52mm?
Question 2. Is 52 mm common for a hubsocket on a 94 FZJ80?
Question 3. where can I find one priced right?

Thanks for the help!
If you have a Northern Tool Co. near you, they sell them for about $17. And this is the hardened one for impacts.

I got mine 54mm socket form Amazon for a good price.

It comes from the size of the socket that fits the nuts. When the nut is that big and the torque that low, close is good enough, so it's entirely possible that a 56mm socket would work, which means that if a 54mm is too big for his nuts he's got the wrong size nuts on there, or the corners have been rounded off badly, or the nuts have been ground down.

-Spike

OK, fair enough. Just for the record the SST is 56 MM or 2 & 3/16" as shown below, not 54 MM:

111_1143.jpg

If you have a Northern Tool Co. near you, they sell them for about $17. And this is the hardened one for impacts.

A 2 1/8" Impact socket would be neither hardened not able to fit in the wheel hubs without being turned down.

attachment.php

OK, fair enough. Just for the record the SST is 56 MM or 2 & 3/16" as shown below, not 54 MM:

2 1/8" socket with a new spindle nut sitting in it, I will have to measure the socket to see what the actual distance is flat to flat:

attachment.php

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply. On the other hand the hub locknut is not ground down or rounded off. It's in good shape, it's just on very tight and I can't knock it off. I need a 52mm hub socket I think. I was just concerned if this was normal or not. I was not sure however I thought from 75 up to 97 the hub socket was the same 54mm.
Thanks!

I need a 52mm hub socket I think. I was just concerned if this was normal or not.

Well, looking at the pic above your reply, their might be 2 mm of slop between the nut flats and the socket, so a 52 might fit tightly. I routinely pre-torque my wheel bearing nuts to (over) the suggested 55 or so foot-pounds to seat the bearings with a normal 2 1/8" chrome socket (Craftsman) and it never feels like it's too big or is in danger of slipping. If I were in your position, I'd order a new set of nuts and just crank on the 54mm (or 2 1/8", if that's what you have) until those babies came off. If they survive, toss 'em in the trail spares box and install the new ones. Or, you could find a 52mm (or 2 1/16", if you wish) and let us know if it fits.

To find a socket, I usually revert to Sears as they're close and keep most of the larger sizes in stock. Probably not the cheapest, but not the most expensive, either. You might also check hub sockets at your local auto parts store, maybe one comes in 2 1/16".

-Spike

2 1/8" socket with a new spindle nut sitting in it, I will have to measure the socket to see what the actual distance is flat to flat:

attachment.php

It doesn't surprise me. How many times do you get a tool or an item that spec'd as one thing and you measure it and it is actually different than the specification, and yet for some reason we go by the spec. I re-measured the SST, both inside (at flats) and outside at widest point. This time using SAE or inches. Pics below confirm:

Inside (flats) = 2 & 3/16"
Outside (widest point) = 2 & 25/32"

111_1146.jpg
111_1148.jpg

Anyone have issue with the 54mm hubsocket sold by Slee? Their socket fit extremely loosey-goosey, like it was a size or two too large. And yes, my (hub) nuts are in good shape :D.

Jwp

Just used mine that I got from Slee about an hour ago. I can't say it felt loose as far as the fit on the nut, but since it is a thin nut does not feel like it gets a good grip. But as mentioned before it does not take a lot of torque to set the bearing so it was not a big problem. Just my experiance with mine and I have used it on a 40, 60, and 80 axle.

You can get the Toyota socket from C-Dan for around $25 to $30. It would probably be a good idea to get a new washer with the locking tabs too. While you are at it, get a couple OEM oil filters. He has a very good price on them and they are superior to what you can get at the parts stores.

The 54 mm is a Snap-on it just had a lot of play on the nut. However I used it last night, I decided if I destroyed the locknut I was just going to buy some new. I had to use an impact to get the locknut off. The impact allowed me to keep inward pressure on the socket, to keep it from rolling off the nut. The hard part was seating the bearings trying to keep the inward pressure on the socket. All in all I was able to get it to work. I started this project because I just needed to adjust the adjusting nut. 48 inch pound is not a lot of pressure however it made a big difference. No up/down play in the hub.
I did learn 2 things. One I needed some new hub sockets. Two I needed to rebuild my front hubs on my FZJ80.
Who has the best price on a hub rebuild kit with bearings?

Thank For The Help!

I don't know if he has the best prices, but shop Cruiser Outfitters.

-Spike

Just repacked my wheel bearings last night and used a 2-1/8" socket I picked up from Tractor Supply for about $13 and the 3/4 to 1/2 reducer for $4. Works great, expecially given the fact you are not putting more than 50lbs of torque on the nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom