Hub Removal Mystery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to repack wheel bearings on my 82 FJ40. I’ve removed the hub face. But no where do I see the snap ring? I do see 13mm bolt on the end of the hub. It also seems that where the snap ring should be is awfully far inside the hub.

Two other things that I noticed – no cone washers on this either. It has bolts with a bend down tab washer and it didn’t have bolts on the hub face – it had Allen bolts.

I’ve done this job before on an 85 FJ60 and an 91 FJ80. What’s the trick?

Trying to repack wheel bearings on my 82 FJ40. I’ve removed the hub face. But no where do I see the snap ring? I do see 13mm bolt on the end of the hub. It also seems that where the snap ring should be is awfully far inside the hub.

Two other things that I noticed – no cone washers on this either. It has bolts with a bend down tab washer and it didn’t have bolts on the hub face – it had Allen bolts.

I’ve done this job before on an 85 FJ60 and an 91 FJ80. What’s the trick?

Un do the 13mm bolt. It's in place of the snap ring and depends on the brand of locking hubs. The will be a washer behind it too. Does the same thing.

May need to put in in 4x4 and lock the hubs in to undo the bolts. The other side can be more fun as you have no hub to lock once one side is removed.

I would take a guess at Warn, Asian have the snap ring and cone washers.

Sounds like a Warn hub...

Hi All:

"RickD," can you post a photo?

Sounds like a Warn manual lock-out to me, but using the shorter mini-truck/60 Series Birfields.

Regards,

Alan

remove the 13 mm bolt and washer, then you remove the hub body, behind that will be two 54mm nuts and a snap ring.

not to hijack but, my truck used to have warn hubs, i just put aisin hubs on it and it won't really work cause it seems like the 13mm bolt and washer are in the way, do i still need these if i'm running aisin hubs or are they there only for the warn hub? Thanks.

remove the 13 mm bolt and washer, then you remove the hub body, behind that will be two 54mm nuts and a snap ring.

not to hijack but, my truck used to have warn hubs, i just put aisin hubs on it and it won't really work cause it seems like the 13mm bolt and washer are in the way, do i still need these if i'm running aisin hubs or are they there only for the warn hub? Thanks.

Just for warn go back to the snap ring if you switched to Asian's

yup, definetly sounds like you have warn hubs on there. for the warns, you'll use the 13mm bolt and special stepped washer on the birf along with locking tabs and nuts on the outside bolt circle.
the stock aisins require the cone washers, washers and nuts on the outside, C-clip on the inside.

It'll be the Warn free wheeling hub

Loosen and remove the 8mm bolt (13mm spanner) you will need to lock the hub, then there will be a circlip at the back of the free wheel locking gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom