Hub Problem - Need Quick Opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today I was putting my front hub back together, and encountered a problem I haven't noticed before. I realized that the inner seal on the metal dust cover will not fit over the end of the hub, where it is supposed to seal. I checked other spare dust covers & other spare hubs, but no dust cover seal fit any hub. By the way, these are Warn B/E hubs, which I have had on the Cruiser for years, but that should not matter. The inner seal that goes into the end of the hub is just fine, and seals onto the spindle with no problem. In the past, I have never encountered this problem, and am quite dumbfounded, to put it mildly. The only thing I can come up with is that the dust cover seal has never seated onto the outer lip of the hub, and I have just never realized it. All useful opinions welcome!

Unless you have the wrong seal, all I did was to grease the seal and apply some grease on lip of the hub and push in the hub hard, when the seal is new it might be a bit harder...Or another way is to install the outter bearing and axle nut and torque it , it would move the hub in.

I already ripped out the center of one seal, tightening the spindle nut to get it to seat. I have greased both the seal and the end of hub. I even tried to push the seal onto the end of the hub to check the fit, and still couldn't get it to go on.

mustardfj40 said:
Unless you have the wrong seal, all I did was to grease the seal and apply some grease on lip of the hub and push in the hub hard, when the seal is new it might be a bit harder...Or another way is to install the outter bearing and axle nut and torque it , it would move the hub in.

Mustard-

Are you running a Warn axle kit up front also?

Ed-

I did not ever install these on any Warn axle kits that I installed....

The bearings and hub body are significantly larger than the Toyota parts they replaced.

Good luck!

-Steve

Last edited:
Steve,
As far as I can remember, the Warn kits never had this dust seal in them. Checking the parts list from the instructions, it does not show this seal. Is that because it is not used? That may well be the problem, since this seal appears to be redundant.

And yes, I am using the complete Warn B/E kit in my front housing.

Ed-

My question was to Mustard about the Warn axle kit. I can see that you have a Warn hub in the picture. :)

From what I remember there was not anything in the instructions about that seal. I would not worry about it.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom