hub options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, Ok if I use an 81 inner axle and birf in a 79 axle housing what are my options on lockin hubs. Do I have to use the Aisin ones? Or will Warn hubs work? Or what are my other options. Thanks, Chuck

Yes I tried the search function, couldn't find my answer.

Pull locking hubs off any Toyota 4x4 in the local wreckers. Pickups and 'Cruisers use the same hubs just painted different colors.

you gotta use a post 1979 hub though... the other ones need the weaker birfs with the longer axle stub

Disregard the previous 2 posts, they obviously are smokin' dope.....any disc brake hub will work, Asians use the c clip on the end all others will use a large washer with a bolt in the end.
Butch

cruiser_guy said:
Pull locking hubs off any Toyota 4x4 in the local wreckers.

Not true for ifs junk....

I just went through this.
To answer the question Asin, Warn, and Superwinch all make hubs which will work.
Asin is available through wrecking yards for $70 a pair or from Toyota for $200(?) each, Warn and Superwinch run $75 a pair. I used Warn for years on Fj40's and Blazers with no trouble. As far as I can tell Superwinch hubs grenade about 20 yards off paved roads, at least thats what I heard from reliable sources.

What you need to do is match the spline, I'm %95 certain 81 birfields are 30 spline.

The Asin hubs are easy to service, $10 in parts and they are good to go. They are also about 1/4" shorter than Warn. BTW the only difference between the IFS hubs and the SA Asin hubs is the clutch ring. That is the part which actually engages the wheel to the birfield stub.
Dscn1455.jpg

rusty_tlc said:
I BTW the only difference between the IFS hubs and the SA Asin hubs is the clutch ring. That is the part which actually engages the wheel to the birfield stub.

right, and it WILL NOT work on a 30 spline birf...

I need hubs ;)

well my 1976 disc brake hubs, which happen to be warn, use a c clip, no bolt and washer ordeal, and also won't engage if used on a post 1979 front end wITHOUT modification. so i don't see what dope i'm smoking... true fact, the stub shaft was shorter on 1979 cv's than on earlier disc hubs.

spline count and size is the same for all disc fronts though

bad_religion_au said:
well my 1976 disc brake hubs, which happen to be warn, use a c clip, no bolt and washer ordeal, and also won't engage if used on a post 1979 front end wITHOUT modification. so i don't see what dope i'm smoking... true fact, the stub shaft was shorter on 1979 cv's than on earlier disc hubs.

Ditto on this. My daughters Aisin hubs on her '76 FJ55 are slightly different in the body length than the ones on my '60 or the mini disc ones that I swapped into the '67 FJ45LV.
Poser is right on the solid axle though. '79 or later solid axle Toyota 4x4 and you're good to go.

I don't understand how warns will work on the short shaft birf when they werte made for the long one? I thought his only option was asin? Does Warn make locking hub for a short shaft 79+ birf?

Trollhole said:
I don't understand how warns will work on the short shaft birf when they werte made for the long one? I thought his only option was asin? Does Warn make locking hub for a short shaft 79+ birf?

i think warn may make a short bodied one.. .the longer bodied ones can be used with a short shafted CV though, you just gotta pack between the spring and the dial (i think) with a washer or 3...

but why would you bother, their weak as shizniz?

bad_religion_au said:

It's the Oz dope.....his question was for the later birfs, and they will use a fender washer , yours however is the long disc birf, which will potrude thru the Warns far enough to use the c clip............
:doh: :flipoff2:

Trollhole said:

Warn offers an “ instillation kit “ to make their lock out work with the 1979 and on shorter fing birfields. This is effectively a 8x1.25mm x 15mm bolt with a lock-tite substance applied to it from the factory, and a 4mm thick washer with a machined step in it so that it sits into the axle drive gear in the lockout body a bit more than a standard fender washer would. The bolt then passes through the washer, and threads into the end of the axle, holding the axle out, just as the snap ring would do with the earlier set ups.

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser said:
right, and it WILL NOT work on a 30 spline birf...
So when a hub fails what breaks?
When I was servicing these hubs I noticed the 27 spline and 30 spline parts were all interchangable. So I was thinking of holding on to the 27 spline hubs in case I needed spare parts. (Toyota does not sell replacement parts they sell the whole magillia at $300 or something insane like that.)

Only time I've killed an asin was the outer dial and housing got munched. I run tall skinny's on a few trucks and this was on a 60 with 33x10.5 swampers. The outer dial smashed a rock making it so you couldn't lock or unlock. New outer dial and it was good to go. Not very hard core I know...

rusty_tlc said:
So when a hub fails what breaks?

The dial mechanism/actuator is by far the most vulnerable component, and is the most likely recipient of collateral damage from an outer stub twisting off.

This is applicable to the Toyota lock out only, as all the other brands do not make a body that will not explode first. ;)

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom