Hub Identification- FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1979 US spec FJ40. Does anyone know what type of hubs these are? I was told they were a dealer installed option and an early version of full-time 4wd. What’s the opinion on them in comparison to manually locking Warn or Aisin hubs?

4026502F-FC60-4624-AB3E-32E3C9161DFD.jpeg

those are drive plates....it is the way every 40 was shipped up until the aisin hubs showed up. manual lock out hubs were install here as an option.
in terms of comparing them to lock out hubs, there is no comparison. these are full proof, and just about indestructible....their cons are pretty obvious.....the front drive will always be in motion, in or out of 4wd at the transfer.

I have a 1979 US spec FJ40. Does anyone know what type of hubs these are? I was told they were a dealer installed option and an early version of full-time 4wd. What’s the opinion on them in comparison to manually locking Warn or Aisin hubs?

View attachment 2266483

Looks like there aren’t hubs installed. Call @cruiseroutfit and get a pair of new Aisin.

Appreciate the replies. So takeaway is the the drive plates are good in terms of 4x4 effectiveness, however with the front drive always engaged you’d expect to see components to wear out faster when compared with the manually locking hubs?

Idk about faster wear. Look at the 80 series, they're full time 4wd

But maybe since those are designed for it and these aren't?

Appreciate the replies. So takeaway is the the drive plates are good in terms of 4x4 effectiveness, however with the front drive always engaged you’d expect to see components to wear out faster when compared with the manually locking hubs?

Correct. Front driveline spline & U-Joints, birfs, inner axle splines at diff and seal surface, etc. All become wear surfaces with a drive flange and high miles. In a low mile application it won't matter but you're still spinning all of those parts down the road which can often be felt in the cab.

Idk about faster wear. Look at the 80 series, they're full time 4wd

But maybe since those are designed for it and these aren't?

Fwiw not all 8x's are full-time, many around the globe come as factory part-time with the hubs. And it is a somewhat popular mod to convert the US spec full-time 80 to part-time by using hubs, most often to reduce said wear and keep parts from having to spin all the time.

Correct. Front driveline spline & U-Joints, birfs, inner axle splines at diff and seal surface, etc. All become wear surfaces with a drive flange and high miles. In a low mile application it won't matter but you're still spinning all of those parts down the road which can often be felt in the cab.

Fwiw not all 8x's are full-time, many around the globe come as factory part-time with the hubs. And it is a somewhat popular mod to convert the US spec full-time 80 to part-time by using hubs, most often to reduce said wear and keep parts from having to spin all the time.
Thanks, I ordered the hubs and steering knuckle rebuild kit from you guys today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom