Hub bolt replacement - '73 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One of the bolts is broken off of the front passenger hub assembly. I imagine this could be fixed by removing the wheel and drum, removing the hub assembly with a puller, and replacing the broken bolt behind the hub. Is that correct? If so can I leave the locking hub assembly attached when pulling the hub?

If so can I leave the locking hub assembly attached when pulling the hub?

No, you cannot.

Also,
You will not need a puller to remove the wheel bearing hub from the spindle. If you do, you have larger issues than a broken wheel stud.

We have the wheel and drum off and the broken bolt removed but there doesn't seem to be enough space to put the new bolt into position without removing the hub. Does removing the hub for this require removing the myriad rings, gaskets, and flange that sit in front of it?

We have the wheel and drum off and the broken bolt removed but there doesn't seem to be enough space to put the new bolt into position without removing the hub. Does removing the hub for this require removing the myriad rings, gaskets, and flange that sit in front of it?

Yes, and if you don’t know when your front end was last serviced you should definitely take the opportunity to do so while you’re dealing with the lug stud. Wheel bearings like to be greased and adjusted regularly.

Wheel bearings are pretty robust. If there’s been any kind of decent maintenance, chances are they will repack and adjust fine.

What do you know of the maintenance history? Are the backsides of the knuckles caked in sludge? You might need a full knuckle overhaul. The knuckle bearings are not as robust as the wheel bearings, and it’s not uncommon to see 40 plus year old axles that have never had knuckle service.

woodpecker - you need a service manual, NOW. See that guy up there, 65swb45? He knows what you need and where to get it. Listen to what he has to say. Mark is the man.

Thanks Ferg!

I happen to have stumbled across a small pile of used Haynes manuals in the process of moving the office. I will be glad to toss one in with a knuckle kit. 818-953-9230.

We have a Haynes manual and are putting it to good use. We're picking up lock ring pliers shortly and will also grab a different grease and solvent if lithium grease and lacquer thinner won't work for this.

Anything else we might need?

I used odorless mineral spirits. Dissolves the muck, and about $15 a gallon at home Depot. Save your lungs from the lacquer thinner.

I used odorless mineral spirits. Dissolves the muck, and about $15 a gallon at home Depot. Save your lungs from the lacquer thinner.

Amen. The smell of the 50 year old gear oil and grease mix is bad enough!

The Green Industrial degreaser from Harbor Freight works very well, too, if you don't want to use any flammable-type solvent. And it's cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom