HR588 2.5L turbodiesel, opinions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just learned that I'm a 15-yr member, but I haven't posted in YEARS, and this is my first post regarding the 70-series.

So looking at a BJ73, what is the consensus on the HR588 2.5L turbodiesel by VM Motari? The power specs look anemic, even based on my past experience with the venerable F and 2F engines, but are Europeans just used to low-output diesels, or does the tranny make up for it and it actually can get out of it's own way? Torque didn't look any better than my old F, but I have no real frame of reference.

I've never before driven a diesel, but spent many years behind an F engine, so I get the "slowness" thing. I guess a better question might be the durability, but i'm guessing it's good. Fuel economy?

Do a search, not a good engine. If considering a 73 with that engine I would make sure the rest of the rig is in top notch condition, like no rust, and then plan on an engine swap. If it seems to be running good that would just buy you time to organize an engine swap.

Do a search, not a good engine. If considering a 73 with that engine I would make sure the rest of the rig is in top notch condition, like no rust, and then plan on an engine swap. If it seems to be running good that would just buy you time to organize an engine swap.
Search where? HR588 doesn't bring up anything in this forum, and can't find negatives in broader internet search, either.

Search where? HR588 doesn't bring up anything in this forum, and can't find negatives in broader internet search, either.

Its usually just referred to as the VM motor on here, so I would start with that. Or type this into your search engine of choice: "vm motor bj73 site:forum.ih8mud.com" and it should pull up all the info on them in the BJ73. Reviews are pretty negative. I agree with coldtaco, as long as the rest of the cruiser is in good shape it would not be a bad option if you plan on swaping the motor out down the road. I have never experienced one in person, but was looking at a 73 with one and did a ton of research.

Its main problem is that it has 5 separate cylinder heads. Most mechanics don't know that you need a special jig to torque the head studs. Doing it without the jig guarantees the head gaskets will fail.
Any naturally aspirated 2.5 litre diesel from the 80s is going to feel underpowered.
This one is a 5 cyl right? That's what the "5" means in the HR588

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom