Howell EFI connection question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm down to the last couple of wires to be run to complete my EFI upgrade to my 71 FJ40 w/ original rebuilt F engine. Can some one verify if the purple wire designated to connect to the starter solenoid connects to terminal that is energized by the ignition switch? It would be my guess. Also, what is the best switched circuit to power the fuel pump reliably? I've been trying verify this Howell for over a week, but their technical service dept. is tough to catch up to via phone or email.

thanks

Did you ever get an answer to this?
Yes, I did. The Purple wire attaches to the same blade connector on the starter solenoid as the wire from the ignition switch. In that the connection is not a threaded pole with brass nut, I had to get a a double male blade connector at my local marine supply store. It slips on over the blade where starter wire connects and allows you to reconnect the ignition switch wire to the 1st blade and the 2nd blade to the purple EFI wire.
Thanks for asking.

Yes, I did. The Purple wire attaches to the same blade connector on the starter solenoid as the wire from the ignition switch. In that the connection is not a threaded pole with brass nut, I had to get a a double male blade connector at my local marine supply store. It slips on over the blade where starter wire connects and allows you to reconnect the ignition switch wire to the 1st blade and the 2nd blade to the purple EFI wire.
Thanks for asking.
Awesome thank you. I will be doing that this week.

Thanks man it seems very overwhelming reading through the instructions. Especially for a novice. But I'll figure it out!
I'm no genius but got through the whole thing pretty easily. I've posted a couple threads for adapting accelerator linkages and adapting to oem air cleaner assemblies for this EFI conversion, at least on FJ40's. Let me know if I can help you.

I'm no genius but got through the whole thing pretty easily. I've posted a couple threads for adapting accelerator linkages and adapting to oem air cleaner assemblies for this EFI conversion, at least on FJ40's. Let me know if I can help you.
I'll have to look those up. I have a k and n open air filter on the way that should fit. I'll let you know if I run into any snags. Thanks!

Looking to do this on my 79 fj40. Where are the threads you documented this install? thanks

Looking to do this on my 79 fj40. Where are the threads you documented this install? thanks
I wrote a procedure, with pictures, that I posted on July 25, 2021 titled "1111111111" (that's 10 1's) concerning how to use your existing throttle cable by making a simple bracket and a bushing assembly the converts the throttle lever action from vertical to horizontal at the EFI Throttle Body. It worked well on my 71 w/ 1F motor, but don't know about your 2F. It's a hell of a lot easier than cutting up your firewall and installing a Chevy van linkage. There's another great procedure in the Forum by a member, SteveH, who shows how to adapt Throttle Body to stock air cleaner. My only improvement to it was using a small piece of 5" Diesel exhaust pipe and a small piece of 3". Look up, "Why can't I adapt my OEM air cleaner to my TBI EFI?" I love this system and what it did for this engine. No more carbureater BS.

Thanks for asking.
Would you happen to have a picture? I cut the "green" wire going into the solenoid and spliced the purple wire in but still not getting a spark. Where did you attach the white "tach" wire and the "direct battery" wire? Also, what did you use for your "on and crank" source?

Thanks for any input. I am working with 86 FJ60 so might be some differences.

JR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom