Howdy - First Post with pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm new to the Mud site. I have a 1996 Land Cruiser, 2-inch lift, ARB bumper with Smittybilt 9.5 wench, Falken 33-inch mud terrain tires, PHH fix done. So here are some pics. I plan to be at June 16th breakfast for NM High Desert Cruisers. Rig Name: "Oscar the Rat"
DSCF1020.JPG
DSCF1047.JPG
DSCF1060.JPG
DSCF1061.JPG
DSCF1062.JPG

Last edited:
Oooooooh. Another 6M1 FZJ80. Nicely set up.

Welcome aboard Jeff, Terrill here.

Just got a Slee transfer case skid plate and AC dryer plate for ARB bumper. Will bolt those on asap. Sorry mountains are closed, but good time to wrench on rig. Runs well, some rust underneath, from previous multi- owner's neglect. Since I got it, I've changed out all fluids, belts, fan clutch, plugs, cap, rotor, wires. Already had lift, bumper. I really like how heavy duty these FZJ80's are from the factory. Has open Diffs. Should last a long time.

Hi Terrill!!

This. :clap:

bottle cap.jpg

The front bumper bottle opener is a very necessary piece of 4x4 equipment. It does get more use than a Hi Lift Jack. Abre Cerveza Aqui is a nice way to finish the day.:beer::).

Toyota was smart. They built bottle openers into their trucks.

Bottle opener 2_sm.jpg

Of course, these are much easier. I guess since I pulled a cerveza out of the fridge I might as well pop the cap.

Bottle opener_sm.jpg

WOW! I have only had this truck a few months , and I keep learning more things about it all the time. Good for Toyotsa for over building their door latches and testing bottle caps on them before they offered them to the public.
I did not get an owners manual with this Cruiser, so I have a question about 2 buttons on the center console. Next to the Transfer caes shifter , there are 2 buttons, one says "Power", the one next to it says "2nd". I am not pushing either until I know what the hell they do. Maybe some kind of Warp Drive??.....
Thanks for info about these mysterious buttons. Enjoy your favorite beverage.

The power button adjusts the shift points on the transmission. It increases the rpms before it shifts, and kills your gas mileage. I have no idea on the 2nd button.

Without seeing pictures I can't be sure but I have a very similar 2-button setup next to the shifter on my 100-series. However, I think the '96 80-series and my '99 100-series actually have the same A343F so they are probably identical. The '2nd' button is used to bypass 1st gear in the automatic transmission. It's extremely helpful when you're in low range but don't want/need to start out in first gear. If you put the Transmission in D when in Low range, it will start in 1st gear. And then it will immediately shift to second gear, which in my cruiser results in a very pronounced lurching of the 3-ton tank and probably more stress on the drive-train that is good over time.

When I'm in low range, I depress the '2nd' button and then shift the transmission to '2'. I only shift to '1' when I need to go really slow. If I need to go faster than 2 I will then shift up to 'D' but I don't leave the Overdrive engaged. It just seems wrong to me to be in low range and high gear.

Last edited:
@alia176 will try to get you to spend massive amounts of money on anything he can convince you to do. But you really should make sliders your next priority. Those rocker panels and lower doors are way too nice to smash up with a rock that a set of sliders could have prevented or minimized the damage.

Hi Jeff,
Your rig is looking great! I visited Leon's garage and got to see the starting point a few months ago.

What Pappy said about the shift points. That "Power" button also comes in really handy on long mountain downslopes, like Interstate 70 west of Denver. It acts as an engine brake that seemed to be just the perfect gear ratio/rpm to avoid using the brakes at 65 mph while hurtling down from the Eisenhower Tunnel. You can also use the "2nd" button in high gear on ice to start off slowly, if I remember correctly.

I look forward to seeing everyone later this summer, when I return from Bhutan.

Barry

Thanks for the info about an owners manual. And the info about those buttons. Makes good sense to use them in certain situations.
I agree that sliders are important and will be doing something about that soon. Just put on a transfer case skid plate. I appreciate all the information . I do plan to keep this one a long time , so I must do what it needs to keep it working right. Not planning on doing difficult trails, but I could slip off my line and end up with some damage, even on an easy trail. I want to have all the doors opening .
Barry, hope you are enjoying your trip and thanks to you and Leon for helping me get this rig going. Best 4x4 I've ever had.

Thanks for the pics from manual. I am going to order my own. I had a 2005 Chevy truck that had a similar idea with changing the shift points for towing a trailer. The manual does a good job of explaining these 2 bottons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom