How would you tackle this tub? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning to repair and paint my tub. Overall, it's not in bad shape. Quarters, cowl, and floor are pretty solid. My plan of attack may be to sandblast, then spray entire tub with primer, then weld in homemade patches from flat stock. Where I'm uncertain is dealing with the support channels. I think the one closest to the rear of vehicle can be patched and fixed. The one in the middle of the tub is shot. I've seen replacements from different vendors but they're a little pricey. Couldn't I just bend up some flat stock to make a similar "C" channel of the correct thickness and weld in? You can also see some holes in the quarters where the wheelhouses attach. Not sure what the sandblasting will uncover in those areas. To fix that, I'm thinking about welding in smaller patches and using a light coat of filler.
Underside.jpg
Top side.jpg
Tub.jpg

Chassis for the tub

....and here's my freshly done rolling chassis that tub will eventually go on. Frame has been sandblasted and painted, 4" lift and greaseable shackles installed, and new 33x10.5-15 BFG KM2s.
Chassis.jpg

I think you're totally on track with your plans. You might consider how you can weld in captive nuts or give yourself access for bolting the tub down, on your new crossmembers. Be sure to visit a good steel place so you can see all the channel profiles available. You may want to use a shallow channel in places.

Sandblasting may reveal more problems than you'd like, but best to know that ahead of time, either way.

When you've welded in the flat stock, shine a strong light behind the welds to check for voids and pinholes. After all bodywork is done, then buy several pounds of axle grease, and smear it heavily on all the repaired areas (or for that matter, the entire bottom of the tub). Fill any hard-to-reach spots with a grease gun. This will stop rust, but inspect it yearly.

Instead of sandblasting the whole tub (which could lead to warping) I would start with airplane stripper, get the paint and any filler off, then only sandblast and weld/repair the areas that need patching.

I would avoid chemical stripper, too many cleanup problems. An experienced sandblaster could blast that in and out. I would then put on two coats of quality epoxy, then do any body work. Epoxy is best used to protect bare metal after sandblasting. Almost bullet proof with epoxy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom