How would you design an adjustable suspension? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not time sensitive ... I just wanted pose this as a problem here. I've seen some pretty incredible build in thi ssection, and figure someone here will have the answer.

Take an 80 with 6" suspension, running 38's ..

Now how do you modify that buildup so that ,upon getting to a garage, the driver can press a button and lower the whole cruiser so that it drops 2 or 3" or even more to allow entry. The rig still has to be able to perform 90° turns to maneuver into parking spot.

I mentioned something like this before, and I think someone suggested the idea of hydraulically compress the coils. I think I get that idea, as there would be zero flexing while parking, but what about when on the trail or road? Would that extra hardwear be in the way....jamming normal suspension travel?

TY

i have a hard time reading your post

with that maple leaf bouncing in the wind like that........

sorry, just had to tell ya that :D

good question though......don't have an answer for ya :D

Airbags are the way to go.

they even ride nice.

A buddy in Reno Bagged his Early bronco. Worked great.

Another vote for air bags. Check out Over the Hill "W" has been doing these conversion for years.
WSuspension.jpg

woody said:
ditch the coils altogether, switch to airbags...there is a company in MN doing it for TJ's already, same idea....

http://www.offroadonly.com/products/suspension/airock/

There is a guy in Pirate who modded the airock to work on his 4 runner. I think he's using it with mogs tho.

The Airrock is super cool. It's all computer controlled. Steve the owner has a demo program set up on his TJ. He hits a button and the airbags start inflating and deflating. Each corner, each side. Mucho cool. Nice guy too.

Very interesting !

Now...how does one adjust spontaneously for changes occuring that affect castor for instance?

TY

Another question that I should also email the Minnesota rep......A guy I work with used to work on airbags and air shocks and stated that our cold is a harsh factor. Airbags freezing extended .. moisture , airleaks etc.

I wonder if technology has addressed these cold enviroment factors yet?

TY

There is no practical way to adjust castor on the fly. You would need to set it for your "lifted" height and leave it there. Doesn't really matter if your castor is out of spec a few degrees in a parking garage anyway...

Seems to me that caster is more of an issue on the street than on the trail. Call up the guys at Off road only. I've heard that they are very great guys to work with and are happy to answer any questions you may have. Keep in mind that this system is designed to work with Long Arm equipped Jeep TJ's. You will have to customize the kit to work for you, it won't be bolt on. You will also need an on board air system.

When I email the company, what pertinent info about an 80 would they require?

TY

bags. :)

two small winches, compress suspension at anytime with any spring type.

hydraulic suspension, air over hydraulic, air cylinders, etc...

small bag mounts on COs, millions of different ways.

Use the winches like High C said, or just remodel you garage door to accept the added height. Seems both would be cheaper and easier??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom