How would I determine if my head gasket has been replaced? Blackstone report made me wonder, lots of silicon.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi fellas, just got my first blackstone report back and everything looked great other than lots of silicon which apparently isn't so much an issue. But this is my first oil change with the truck and the previous owner told me that the headgasket was done on it. He said it was the owner before him who did it but he had no way of confirming it, the guy had only bought the truck to do some light work and flip it. I honestly just ignored it as being bs and disregarded it, not to say the kid was lying and he definitely is not a dishonest person I have kept up with him since but he was just relaying secondhand info and there was no way to confirm it.

Well after this report I'm starting to think perhaps it's true as again it's the first oil change, is there any way that I could check on the truck to find signs of it?

Or am I just completely off as usual and the silicon is something else?

The silicone that Toyota used was silver/grey. One easy to check is to see what the color of that silicone is on yours. Even if its grey it could be replaced, but if its another color you will know for sure it has been replaced

The silicone that Toyota used was silver/grey. One easy to check is to see what the color of that silicone is on yours. Even if its grey it could be replaced, but if its another color you will know for sure it has been replaced

Oh nice, so just look around the engine block? Excuse my ignorance here....

I don't think 80life quite understands what you meant by Blackstone report. Usually you'll want to post a photo of the results so people can debate and ponder and ultimately tell you to replace the whole engine with a new one just to be safe.
damn if that isnt spot on for for this place

read this: Evaluating the Source of Silicon in Oil - https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1356/silicon-oil-source#:~:text=Let's%20say%20you%20have%20silicon,and%20recommends%20an%20oil%20change.

Also you have one data point. It means nothing without a confirmed trend from subsequent reports. It could mean that someone has been running additives in the oil. It could mean poor oil filtration. it could mean poor air filtration. It could mean coolant in the oil.

You need more data before you can confirm that a) the problem exists b) that it warrants action.

Keep running it and monitor for unusual signs. Post the test report.

Agree with above (I took too long to write this): It might help to post up the Blackstone rerport (minus your name/address of course). IME a small increase in the reported level of silicon on an EOA (Engine Oil Analysis) can be a false positive due to silicone sealant which has been used for sealing up for example the timing chain cover, oil pans, etc. If things were recently resealed or just way too much silicone was used for a job, that can fool the instrument that measures silicon level in the used engine oil.

Then again, if there's a large crack in the air intake tube or holes in the air filter, or the wrong air filter, or no air filter, then the high silicon (ie dirt) level could be real.

Either way, elevated Silicon levels are generally not the first thing you'll see related to a leaking head gasket, that would be high Sodium or Potassium.

Tip: it's important when changing/checking your air filter that you NOT bend the air intake tube when lifting the air filter box lid. First loosen the large wire clamps on both ends of the intake tube, remove the wing nut, release the clamps for the lid, then rotate the air filter box lid up and rearward. Then carefully and completely clean the air filter box including the tuna can (dust collection can on the bottom of the air filter box), clean it out and then replace it.

And if none of that works, just buy a new engine.;)

HTH's

Agree with above (I took too long to write this): It might help to post up the Blackstone rerport (minus your name/address of course). IME a small increase in the reported level of silicon on an EOA (Engine Oil Analysis) can be a false positive due to silicone sealant which has been used for sealing up for example the timing chain cover, oil pans, etc. If things were recently resealed or just way too much silicone was used for a job, that can fool the instrument that measures silicon level in the used engine oil.

Then again, if there's a large crack in the air intake tube or holes in the air filter, or the wrong air filter, or no air filter, then the high silicon (ie dirt) level could be real.

Either way, elevated Silicon levels are generally not the first thing you'll see related to a leaking head gasket, that would be high Sodium or Potassium.

Tip: it's important when changing/checking your air filter that you NOT bend the air intake tube when lifting the air filter box lid. First loosen the large wire clamps on both ends of the intake tube, remove the wing nut, release the clamps for the lid, then rotate the air filter box lid up and rearward. Then carefully and completely clean the air filter box including the tuna can (dust collection can on the bottom of the air filter box), clean it out and then replace it.

And if none of that works, just buy a new engine.;)

HTH's
Certainly given the data, a new engine is called for, and a new reciprocating Dingell arm, at the very least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom