How worn were my glow plugs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
Replaced my glowplugs on the weekend (truck had sat all winter). Attached is a picture. The old plugs had a fair amount of carbon buildup. This being the first set of plugs I've replaced on my recently-acquired BJ60, I'd like to know how worn they look like. I did the Wilson switch upgrade late last Fall, and could not get the truck to start before putting it up for the winter. Hence the plug replacement, upon which the truck started just fine. Is it normal to have that amount of carbon on them?

Last edited:
a couple of them have a little more than mine when I replaced them. The larger bits are what mine was missing. I did notice some improvenment in my starting issues.

Tim

Some parts look a little thick. Have you done the injectors lately or have any black smoke?
I have some used 1HZ plugs and they are black but no build up,but I dont know how old they are

Your new NGK plugs have a much longer thread;)

Some parts look a little thick. Have you done the injectors lately or have any black smoke?
THe truck had sat for 2-3 years prior to my buying it. 230K on it and no indication that injectors were ever attended to. I don't recall seeing undue smoke out the exhaust. Anyway, seems to have good pickup (for a non-aspirated 3B!) but I'll keep an eye on things in case some injector work may be called for in the next while. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom