How will moving the front spring hangers affect steering/caster? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking about moving the front spring hangers about 1.5" forward on the frame to correct my shackle angle on front. I already relocated the rear shackle hangers inboard about 2" and have about a 40* angle in the rear. The fronts are so stiff (4" lift springs) I need to fix this to lower the spring rate and get more flex.

Anyone done this before? I have heard of moving the shackle hangers, but anyone moved the front spring hangers. This would also yield a small increase in wheelbase (bonus)!

With out a drawing I can only assume I know what you have in mind. I think you may gain around a half a degree of pinion angle and lose that much castor because the frame is sloped in that area. but if you were to fab up a new hanger that was at the same height as your original, you wouldn' t have any change in either. What is your shackel angle now, and how long are your shackles?

You can calculate it from the change in vertical height above its previous mounting position. Divide the height change by the eye to eye lenght of the spring and hit the inv sin button on your calculator to find the angle. For example a inch change with stock springs gives an angle change of approx 1.5 degrees.

I'll shoot a couple of pics toninght, but I figure (from memory) it's going to constitue about a 1" change in relation to the current spring hanger hieght. I'm currently running 4* shims and all is good. I have Saginaw steering, so I'm not too concended about that.

Good idea about fabbing "taller" hangers, but I will probably try it with the existing ones first and see if there is any "wobble" and go from there.

Thanks! I'll post up results in a coule of weeks.

Mat,

I thought about that too, but my Saginaw box is in the way which got me thinking about moving the spring hanger instead (because I'm lazy). This would yield a longer wheelbase for better ride and approach angle. Won't change it much, but every little bit helps, right?

Sounds like way too much work. 4 inch springs have a firm/harsh ride. Just the way it is. You might consider a SOA. That would net a bit more lift and on stock springs, it has a pretty good ride.

If I knew then, what I know now....

The coffers are low, hence SUA for a couple more years. Sigh....

I need to do this same mod on mine soon, looking forward to hearing about how your's went.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom