How wheelable is a 100? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks. I better look up dimensions, I didn't think a 100 is that much bigger than my Trooper but maybe it is.

My understanding is the front diffs were weakest on the 98-99s, right? Is it much a problem after that?

I am also considering going with an 80, but that would be a lateral move, age-wise. But maybe it would be better-suited for what I want to do.
When you add the front locker, you'll have fixed the weak front diff issue. I have a TJM air locker on my 98.

How wheelable is a 100? You'd need a pretty modded 100 to do the trails you mentioned without tons of damage. It can be done if you're really dedicated to the platform. But there are a lot of platforms that would work better and need less modding. There's no easy way to get the 3-4" of lift you'd probably want for those trails.

What would you recommend? A JKU Rubicon? :flipoff2:

How is it treating you btw?

...but how difficult are 35s to fit?

I have the 2.5 heavy suspension lift with Uniball UCA's and the front diff drop kit. I built my own 1.75" body lift and run 35" BFG M/T's with no problem at all.
I have heard that you can use a little as a 1" body lift with everything else lifted and not have problems.
You will need to hammer the pinch weld just a little and either run a small spacer on your rims or slightly offset rimes.

Last edited:
I looked up basic dimensions. LC 100: L 192.5", W 76.4", wheelbase 112.2". Trooper: L 183.5", W 72.4", wheelbase 108.7"
So the 100 is significantly larger. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to consider. It would be fun to have a V8 though.
You could always look at the 80 series if you want something just a wee bit smaller. But you'll be losing ride quality and horsepower not the mention a few nice amenities that were added to the 100 series like thermostat control.

I assume regear options are available to compensate.

Yes I did the the re-gear on the front and read diff's AND the Marlin Crawler transfer case re-gear. Love it!!
Got some power back after putting on those 35"s.

Call it what you may, but my 35s fit perfect. The 315s measure 34.8" which is the same as most 35".

You could always look at the 80 series if you want something just a wee bit smaller. But you'll be losing ride quality and horsepower not the mention a few nice amenities that were added to the 100 series like thermostat control.

Grab a 97 40th/CE or Lexus LX 450 for auto climate and have Slee drop-in a Toyota V8. Add heaters to the front seats and all you are really missing are the front arm rests!

I have the 2.5 heavy suspension lift with Uniball UCA's and the front diff drop kit. I built my own 1.75" body lift and run 35" BFG M/T's with no problem at all.
I have heard that you can use a little as a 1" body lift with everything else lifted and not have problems.
You will need to hammer the pinch weld just a little and either run a small spacer on your rims or slightly offset rimes.

Pics of that body lift? And of the rag joint between the steering and intermediate shafts?

Thanks. I better look up dimensions, I didn't think a 100 is that much bigger than my Trooper but maybe it is.

My understanding is the front diffs were weakest on the 98-99s, right? Is it much a problem after that?

I am also considering going with an 80, but that would be a lateral move, age-wise. But maybe it would be better-suited for what I want to do.

I didn't notice a reply to this. Yes the 2000+ front end was strengthened. For the lexus version(lx470) this happened the same time the locker option was removed(it had a optional rear locker) and ATRAC was added. You could potentially find a 98-99 with a rear locker, add a front locker, and be fully locked. I opted for ATRAC which has served me well but it would be nice to have the option to lock it up when I know I'll need it before slippage happens.

Most of this thread turned into a 33" vs 35" discussion. I'll try to stay out of that, but I run 33"s with no problems. My build thread is:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/new-used-lx470-advice-on-how-to-do-a-mild-build.789733

Here is mine on 315 Toyo ats. 2" lift, stock wheels with 1 1/4" spacers and pinch welds trimmed. Have had no rubbing while crawling and very minor rubbing on the front top inner fender at high speeds.View attachment 954568

Looks great! I will have many decisions to make going forward. Though I wonder why I am putting myself through this again...one of the dangers of looking at what you might get for your next rig is, you might actually find one. Consequently, I have a verbal agreement to purchase an 03 LX-470.

How wheelable is a 100? You'd need a pretty modded 100 to do the trails you mentioned without tons of damage. It can be done if you're really dedicated to the platform. But there are a lot of platforms that would work better and need less modding. There's no easy way to get the 3-4" of lift you'd probably want for those trails.
Yeah, I assumed I would have to have enough lift for 35s, lockers etc. Not cheap or easy for sure.

That may very well be the recipe...I like OME stuff. Although one of the things I have to get used to is having so many aftermarket options...was never a problem for my Trooper.

Yeah, I was looking at 80s for a while, but the solid front axle wasn't enough to overcome the vast improvement in motor that the 100 offers, and the general age factor.

If you are going with 35s, consider the 285/75/18 instead of the 315/75/16. They should be easier to fit with less rubbing. As I understand it, they should fit with a < 2" suspension lift and a 0.5"-1" body lift.

The 03 should have factory 18" wheels.

Thanks, I will look at that size when the time comes.

I am looking at lifts first thing, or should I say AHC delete (or not).

Run the AHC until it dies. Really easy to do the AHC lift.
Lol it would be easy for sure. But would I need a body lift on top of that to fit 35s? And maybe a diff drop because I woul be running high (so to speak)?

There is much to read on AHC.
The system will automatically lower above a certain speed, and there are mods to override this. Running long term at the high setting would definitely benefit from a diff drop. You might also search and read up on the implications of heavy loads (added armor, camping loads) and AHC. The AHC system is known to fail under these conditions.
I removed my AHC system shortly after getting my LX. It was a significant project, but not complicated. Personally, I like the strong and simple reliability of heavier coils rather than the complexity of the AHC system. The truck rides and wheels great.
On the 35" tire question, it does come down to specific tire sizes. 315/75-16 is a size that would require body lifts and pinch well modification. 295/75-16 definitely fits without mods, as does 285/75-18.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom