How urgent are these shop-recommended repairs? Plus pics of my rig... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm certain you are combining two different thoughts here. Definitely DO NOT put ATF or power steering fluid in the brake reservoir.

You can do that procedure for the power steering fluid, however.

For brakes, just go buy a quart of brake fluid, get a friend to help and bleed the brakes. That will cost you less than $10. (remove all the old/nasty fluid from the reservoir first, then keep it full of fresh fluid while bleeding)

My bad. I just had to deal with the brake booster and that was on my mind. You're right, brake fluid in the brake system, PS or ATF in the power steering :p

My bad. I just had to deal with the brake booster and that was on my mind. You're right, brake fluid in the brake system, PS or ATF in the power steering :p

Should only be ATF in our power steering though, right? I seem to remember PS fluid leaking or causing leaks with our PS system.

Should only be ATF in our power steering though, right? I seem to remember PS fluid leaking or causing leaks with our PS system.
ATF or actual hydraulic oil (I forget which brand and number was recommended), but ATF is what the FSM states. Dexron3

Some people have substituted Mobil DTE 24 for ATF in the Power Steering system (only). IME it helps decrease pump whine in cold weather, but IDK which is better/best for the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom