How Tough is a 60 Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I first fell in love with the 60 Series when I saw this Land Cruiser at the REI store in Seatle. So glad to have one of my own now.

1679578172637.png

I'd say over time the Land Cruiser became more reliable, but arguably less durable. For example, the switch to EFI made the upkeep more trouble free, with easier cold starts and the like. However, this change also made the engine less tolerant of very poor quality fuel, and perhaps made it less dummy-proof since it now had an ECU.

Also, the 100 series is overall probably a more reliable vehicle than the 80 series, at least in typical North American conditions. However, the torsion bar IFS sacrifices some brute strength in favor of improved on-road manners.

Likewise, the 200 series is almost maintenance-free compared to a 60 (apart from some known quirks like the radiator and KDSS, etc.), but the 60 series might as well be a horse and buggy compared to the complex electrical systems on the 200. It'll be interesting to see how may 200s are still being used daily 20-30 years from now.

On paper, every new Cruiser generation is better in just about every single way than the predecessor, otherwise what's the point of a new model? However, the newer models are also much less oriented towards prolonged rough-road use and DIY serviceability, so I guess it depends what you're looking for in a platform.

I've had an 80, 60, 2 100s, and currently have a 200. I love them all for different reasons but don't miss any of them as much as the 60. I think my next cruiser is going to be a hj60/61 with the 12ht engine.

I've had an 80, 60, 2 100s, and currently have a 200. I love them all for different reasons but don't miss any of them as much as the 60. I think my next cruiser is going to be a hj60/61 with the 12ht engine.

My dad had several Toyotas. He said he misses his BJ60 the most.

I have a IFS Toyota pickup and I want to put on a landcruiser front axle for durability.

However, I have found Toyota IFS suspension to be dang tough.

I'm curious what issues you're referring to here, and in what generation of IFS trucks.
My friend's '88 extended cab just couldn't get traction climbing on the slickrock where the old '80 didn't even spin. Then another friend lost a ball joint on his 'O6 Taco at 70 mph. Then there are the rattly CV joints that about every modern 4wd are plagued with. So, after 43 years, it is finally time to do a knuckle rebuild on a truck that still handles like it's on rails. Rides like a go-cart though.
There are others, but trunnion bearings make me smile.

My friend's '88 extended cab just couldn't get traction climbing on the slickrock where the old '80 didn't even spin. Then another friend lost a ball joint on his 'O6 Taco at 70 mph. Then there are the rattly CV joints that about every modern 4wd are plagued with. So, after 43 years, it is finally time to do a knuckle rebuild on a truck that still handles like it's on rails. Rides like a go-cart though.
There are others, but trunnion bearings make me smile.

Solid axles look way cooler too when rolling down the road.

When I took my LC into the high school shop, nobody had never seen a solid axle on a passenger vehicle.

I love the ride, exactly what i wanted for a offraod rig
took 10 years to find one worth buying

But honestly 60's have been growing on me the more i look at em
especially soa, preferably with a 1hd ft and 5 speed swap

(see the dead tokiko HG in the background hung as a shame trophy🤣)

For 20 years I pounded the crap out of a 97 IFS 4runner that had a front ARB locker and 4.88's. Never an IFS trail failure. Heck one time I blew out my rear pinion in Death Valley, and then drove 500 miles home the next day with the rear driveshaft in the cab of the truck, transfer case in 4-HI. Changed the diff oil when I got home. 2 years later I had to replace the front diff's extension shaft bearing - but it also had 250k on it. I'll never knock a Toyota IFS truck.

I will say the 62 handles better off-road when loaded down. I carry pretty much the same stuff I had in the 4Runner plus a little extra and it just does what it is designed to do. The 4Runner always struggled a bit managing that load. I’m referring to gear, water and fuel for 2+dog for 10 days.

I've only had the 62 for 4 years so I can't really attest to how "tough" it is, but I don’t think there’s any question that it’s built more heavy duty than the 4Runner - and that's saying a lot. Toyota trucks in general have a reputation for a good reason.

Last edited:
For 20 years I pounded the crap out of a 97 IFS 4runner that had a front ARB locker and 4.88's. Never an IFS trail failure. Heck one time I blew out my rear pinion in Death Valley, and then drove 500 miles home the next day with the rear driveshaft in the cab of the truck, transfer case in 4-HI. Changed the diff oil when I got home. 2 years later I had to replace the front diff's extension shaft bearing - but it also had 250k on it. I'll never knock a Toyota IFS truck.

I will say the 62 handles better off-road when loaded down. I carry pretty much the same stuff I had in the 4Runner plus a little extra and it just does what it does. The 4Runner always felt a little overloaded.

I've only had the 62 for 4 years so I can't really attest to how "tough" it is, but it is certainly built heavier duty than the 4Runner, and that's saying a lot. Toyota trucks have a reputation for a good reason.

Yea I will agree with you on the mini truck/4 runner, I have pounded mine pretty hard and it still drives great.

I will admit, the 62 is a LOT beefier than the pickups.

My 72 Baja bug had 4-wheel independent suspension, and no 4wd, but could out climb either of my solid axle Toyotas. But I'm still glad I don't have to work on that thing anymore. It sure was fun picking on Jeeps with it though 😄

My 72 Baja bug had 4-wheel independent suspension, and no 4wd, but could out climb either of my solid axle Toyotas. But I'm still glad I don't have to work on that thing anymore. It sure was fun picking on Jeeps with it though 😄

I’m very very surprised it could out crawl 4wds.

But it’s good that you show off the jeeps. They need to be humbled. Jeep people really grind my gears.

I’m very very surprised it could out crawl 4wds.

But it’s good that you show off the jeeps. They need to be humbled. Jeep people really grind my gears.

what do you all think would occur and happen if say a CHINISE Firm or shadow corporation style gig , overnight brought to the shores of California a spitting image of a extended wheel base 4dr FJ43 or Pick up FJ45L-RP / Troopy looking All Wheel drive GOLF CART on steroids , contraption ... ? \

And it sported a DIESEL Eco-type power plant

heavy duty composite body

real glass front windshield
etc

roll cage bar of course

complete with a new idea ?

a cheesy version of a 3-point front and rear seat belts restraints that actually worked well years later because DRUNK and HIGH Americans never put one on , during ROUND-UP Weekend at the mountain top concert weekend before , so they did not know they were even tucked neatly still,in there weather type snappy zip pouches ...

it would even be called the new LAND JEEP by its off shore tin man exporter company

but , the china made decals stripes graphics that were So DAM LOUD , like Corsetiers are , that im obsessed for life

the decals badging TEXT says
" Land Cruizer " in all the familiar places ... :D

well it WILL: happen one day

Is that still in the rei store in seattle? I haven't been to that store forever but this would make me go.
Its been a few years since i have been there. We went therer from Kansas City to look at some colleges for my son. Who has now graduated a couple of years ago. Back to the LC in the store. At the time I thought that this was one of the coolest trucks i had ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom