How Tough is a 60 Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You might not believe me, but that old truck drives like it's on rails. The 60 feels more like steering from the crow's nest of an old Spanish Galleon. Both ride stiff but I see it that it helps me drive better and pick better lines. The 60 gets better traction but the truck crawls slower with factory 4.35's. both share the same wheels and knuckles and ignition and each came with a rubber boot on the dissy cap. Both have been to the rescue of many dodges, Jeeps, Chevys and Fords. Neither have ever needed rescued.
My granddad fought in the Pacific but when he saw how well Toyota 4wds were made, he replaced his CJ5 with one.

Amen to pulling out jeeps and dodges…..

Guy flew into a field, big Rams fitted with winches and lifts, and a couple Chevys couldn’t get to him.

Me (a 17 year old) shows up with a 93’ Toyota, and I wheeled right to him, and yanked him all the way out, then proceeded to pull out the other big dodge equipped with a winch who was originally called to save him.

There is more to the story that I don’t want to get into, however I did get a lot of respect that day from the big guys. Never judge a book by it’s cover.

Also, my pickup came factory with 4:56 gears, and I love it, the gearing is great off road- wish my cruiser had the same ratio.

Last edited:
Downsides of a 60. 3.70 diff gears (crawls a little to fast) and didn't come with a receiver hitch. Has sacrificial bumper caps, bad departure angle, needs a lift with taller tires and rust.

Upsides of a 60: gear driven offset transfer case, aligned diffs, no timing chain, serviceable relays, low and flat torque curve. Has elbow room and enough room to sleep in the cargo area if you are 5'9" tall or less. Astoundingly good looking and rugged. Girlfriends rarely want to borrow it and comes with a community of great folks who can drive a stick, love outdoors, and drinking beer around a fire.

Downsides of a 60. 3.70 diff gears (crawls a little to fast) and didn't come with a receiver hitch. Has sacrificial bumper caps, bad departure angle, needs a lift with taller tires and rust.

Upsides of a 60: gear driven offset transfer case, aligned diffs, no timing chain, serviceable relays, low and flat torque curve. Has elbow room and enough room to sleep in the cargo area if you are 5'9" tall or less. Astoundingly good looking and rugged. Girlfriends rarely want to borrow it and comes with a community of great folks who can drive a stick, love outdoors, and drinking beer around a fire.
Concise and accurate. I'm 6'5" and was able top sleep in the back of my 62 diagonally (Barely).

I will never forget the time where I let my sister borrow my LC and she was teasing the dog while she was in the drivers seat.

The dog jumped on the 60, more specifically a 80 pound German Shepard.

When I put the 5 speed in, it should be sister proof.

My most recent purchase is this…. It should help the big butt.

C33B8C89-5CF4-45A8-8028-A29D977CA413.jpeg

Of all the Toyotas I’ve had (40,55, truck, T-100, 80, 100) the 60 is my favorite. And it seems to age like Sam Elliot. Gets better looking with every bump or scratch. Tons of character and very reliable. The inside is a little dirty, but I USE it. Lives in the garage to slow the rust monster, but now the 100 is getting some rust spots!

H55 & 4.10 gears is a game-changer. And at this point, no two 60’s are the same. I LOVE seeing the differences from bone-stock to super-modded & everything in between.

34BB519D-786F-4D2C-A5C7-424B54628130.jpeg

09555A8C-A76B-4735-93E6-91CA6F4A2A47.jpeg

9FF43F46-9575-41CF-9950-64F0E90173C2.jpeg

Of all the Toyotas I’ve had (40,55, truck, T-100, 80, 100) the 60 is my favorite. And it seems to age like Sam Elliot. Gets better looking with every bump or scratch. Tons of character and very reliable. The inside is a little dirty, but I USE it. Lives in the garage to slow the rust monster, but now the 100 is getting some rust spots!

H55 & 4.10 gears is a game-changer. And at this point, no two 60’s are the same. I LOVE seeing the differences from bone-stock to super-modded & everything in between.

View attachment 3211790
View attachment 3211791
View attachment 3211789
yea, 60s do look good beat up. I figure, in the event of an apocalypse, i would probably be driving a diesel 60 series.

Okay, your right, the automatic transmission is the weakest link.

But the 62 actually does have different axles- they have a factory axle truss on the front, and they have a more angled differential pinion for the automatic trans, so the 62 will take a small lift better than a 60. The leaf springs also feature bigger spring perches on the frame. Somebody told me that the frame is thicker on the 62 however I’m not sure if it’s true, but I know for the fact that the 62 has a extra frame rail at the back of the frame, and gives it a little bit more rigidity perhaps there are more I don’t know about, but I am not sure.

Also, the 62 features the 38mm idler shaft on the Transfer case, compared to the original 34mm.

But remember, the automatic trans is pretty lame.
Don't forget the 62 has 4.11 axles compared to 3.70 for the 60. With an H55F in first in low range it feels like you can climb a tree...

Don't forget the 62 has 4.11 axles compared to 3.70 for the 60. With an H55F in first in low range it feels like you can climb a tree...
thats what i have heard... i like low gears.

Can confirm with 4.10 gears…

It reminds me of my Pig in first gear. It’s like a super low granny gear. I feel like I can tractor up anything…

Too bad they didn't make a 69 series
Actually, Toyota never stopped making the 60 series Landcruiser- in fact it’s still in production today.
They just changed the name to the 76 series… but don’t let that throw you, its a 60 series Landcruiser through and through (and not available in the USA of course).

04AC3A3F-17BE-43B1-9AF1-962D2AB7CCAE.jpeg

Actually, Toyota never stopped making the 60 series Landcruiser- in fact it’s still in production today.
They just changed the name to the 76 series… but don’t let that throw you, its a 60 series Landcruiser through and through (and not available in the USA of course).

View attachment 3213676

We were in Costa Rica a few weeks ago. We probably saw one or several of these, I lost count of all the different models of Cruisers there.…it’s cruiser Mecca.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom