How Tough is a 60 Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, it’s more than that.
i think it comes down to the fact that four square lights are tougher than two round ones.

there also aren’t any confirmed problems with the fj62 locks or power windows 🤣

i always just though TOYOTA made a mild style and BLING cosmetic update to the front grill and head lamp buckets , to make it look like all other TOYOTA Trucks / Pickups and 4runners , HILUX Surf's Too, and the other few entry level cars they offered like the TERDCEL , heck the Cressida had a rectangle-ish boxy front end too still ...

- along with OBEYING the USA consumers lazy needs requests not to have to shift manually anymore just because .....

- i summarized the 62 dash pad and dash in general layout was updated to LOOSE the DISCO era FJ40 Munchkin size spec. Jimmy Carter Administration era TUNER-PEGS Radios , and join the rest of the entire global TOYOTA vehicle platform base fleet who had been FULL SIZE Double DIN'ing for many years already ? a PHO. air-bag looking steering wheel would maybe ward off HEAT from consumer reports paper print media magazine readers too .... :lol:

- come to find out there are some fools out there today in 2022 that think in reverse-gear and dig the whole silly idea of a FJ62 with FJ60 front end round head lamp parts on them and find shifting a MTM more desirable then one hand on the wheel and the other with a Iphone death-grip going on in the other hand 24/7 ....

- i do actively wonder what the real story was behind the major simpleton-style change from 9/87 to 10/87 :idea:

- could it be as TOYOTA said plainly , society just demanded a OUTBACK LIMO ?

Toyota-Land-Cruiser-J60-Cutaway-1600x1200.jpg

s-l1600 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
60 is superior. Less computers, less headlight bulbs, no power windows /locks...on and on

i don't agree , the 62 Sales brochure says MORE POWER ?

Last edited:
honestly i don’t think there’s much more toughness of a 62 that a 60. even with gusseted axles etc i’m not sure i can say i’ve ever hear of a 60 axle housing bending. they are just stout anyway! the 62 gained some creature comforts which seems to be the trend onwards as most of these became luxury 4x4s with great capability but definitely plush. i think that’s been the general trend of a lot of vehicles though. lose of proper capability for comfort and style. the 62 was just a bit more plush with efi electronic door locks and windows a/c etc. the electronics that “fail” are 35 plus years old. not sure that’s really a “weakness” when they were designed and sold. they are just more work to fix and maintain now.
either way to see them routinely going 500000km and more shows they were well built!

i’m still partial to my 4 lights though! 😉

Last edited:
got manual ones in the tetanus truck don't you? :hmm:
Yes, I thought about it, but I’m too scared to go and get it, I’m worried that I’m going to get tetanus.

But seriously, I thought I would, but the window cranks are brown. Perhaps I could paint them grey.

honestly i don’t think there’s much more toughness of a 62 that a 60. even with gusseted axles etc i’m not sure i can say i’ve ever hear of a 60 axle housing bending. they are just stout anyway! the 62 gained some creature comforts which seems to be the trend onwards as most of these became luxury 4x4s with great capability but definitely plush. i think that’s been the general trend of a lot of vehicles though. lose of proper capability for comfort and style. the 62 was just a bit more plush with efi electronic door locks and windows a/c etc. the electronics that “fail” are 35 plus years old. not sure that’s really a “weakness” when they were designed and sold. they are just more work to fix and maintain now.
either way to see them routinely going 500000km and more shows they were well built!

i’m still partial to my 4 lights though! 😉

This is my tetanus truck, it’s in my back yard.

Sometimes, I sit in the truck, and a huge wave of sadness overcomes me, it was my dream truck, but it’s not road worthy anymore.

Out of all the vehicles I know, this one has my favourite interior of all time. I love the look, it’s the reason why I wanted a 60. I enjoy sitting inside of the truck because it makes me happy, and reminds me of when I desperately wanted one.

Instead I bought a 62 with a immaculate interior, but it’s not the same.

I wish I had a 60.

This one is diesel too.

BAAC6D77-FD52-49A9-9701-E92CAB612D84.jpeg

I find my 62 more flexible for the family. While it’s my daily, when the kids visit they use it. None of them know how to drive a stick. They’ve piled 6 SUPs on top in the summer and a load to ski in the winter.

CFA18B2D-9B86-403B-81F9-E854C4E515F8.jpeg

I’ve got both. A modified 60 at 342,000 miles and a stock 62 with 292,000 miles. Both are stout in different ways.

The 60 has done 75,000 miles with me and never left me stranded. In 7 years of ownership, I’ve wheeled it every year with zero issues. The 60 series makes me feel like I’m driving a machine. That’s both good and tiring at times. I will continue to daily drive and modify the 60 until there is nothing left of it. I drive it for work trips and into the field all the time. I trust it far more than a new car. I can fix it with a #2 JIS screwdriver and a hammer. It’s great.

The 62 is all stock with an added H55F. It will stay that way. The 62 is a far superior truck stock for stock. It feels better put together than the 60. Also, it is my opinion that the 3FE is the most under appreciated Toyota engine ever. Its not much more complex than a 2F once you understand it and it acts so much more responsible over its predecessor.

It’s sad because even though I swapped the trans from auto to manual, the splines being twisted on the trans outputshaft didn’t kill it. The radiator mixed with the ATF and gunked it up, but it still drove home. That is at least one score for the A440F.

The 60 series is not indestructible, but it’s right next to it.

I’ve got a 40 but I will likely never drive it as much as either of these. The Long wheel base always wins.

4868DD2E-52FB-4A68-9970-44EF0359FBB1.jpeg

4DD2436D-BD08-41EF-B435-605EEA0D6DFF.jpeg

0DE7B30E-AE78-4EA9-AD89-2A3F20344B47.jpeg

9C75C831-C4EC-4916-82B8-77FE7F640C80.jpeg

Last edited:
In late 1986, Toyota changed the body plate to rust-proof steel. Therefore, it is said in Japan that later models are resistant to rust. It still rusts, but is generally said to be better than earlier models.

In late 1986, Toyota changed the body plate to rust-proof steel. Therefore, it is said in Japan that later models are resistant to rust. It still rusts, but is generally said to be better than earlier models.

Lol. Well Toyota clearly lied…

C4A5C86E-3986-4B69-BB1F-84EE8FAE82FF.jpeg

I've been driving the same FJ60 since I bought it new in 1987. I also have a 100 (bought new) and a 200 (bought new). FJ60s are tough, durable, and can take a lot of abuse. Easy to fix with basic tools, wire, tape, JB Weld, and occasionally a hammer. They do require a huge amount of maintenance compared to my 200 to remain reliable (for instance, greasing hubs/wheel bearings, clutches, brakes, etc). The 60 2F will run on just about anything resembling gasoline, even the junk they used to sell road side down south in the 80's and 90's. The only thing that kills a 60 is rust. That is the killer.

My only comparison to my 60 is my first gen Toy pickup with a 20R and 4-speed. Both are tough as nails but the pickup is slightly more reliable. I bought the 60 because I loved the durability of the pickup. Both are rusting but neither have ever met a professional mechanic.

My my 93 pickup is more reliable and feels far more modern.

On the highway for sure. I'm sticking with solid axles after the issues I've seen with IFS trucks.

My life goal was to get a solid axle yota.

I have found my IFS Toyota pickup to be one of the damn toughest vehicles I have owned, and it’s wheels dang well too.

But nothing beats the solid axle, way tougher, and i like the hard ride, it’s fun.

Not to mention gear heads are often intrigued buy the solid axle design, Also not to mention, the solid axle rigs look way cooler when they are rollen down the road.

You might not believe me, but that old truck drives like it's on rails. The 60 feels more like steering from the crow's nest of an old Spanish Galleon. Both ride stiff but I see it that it helps me drive better and pick better lines. The 60 gets better traction but the truck crawls slower with factory 4.35's. both share the same wheels and knuckles and ignition and each came with a rubber boot on the dissy cap. Both have been to the rescue of many dodges, Jeeps, Chevys and Fords. Neither have ever needed rescued.
My granddad fought in the Pacific but when he saw how well Toyota 4wds were made, he replaced his CJ5 with one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom