How to time diesel by ear? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
I have an '85 toyota 2L diesel, early model mechanical injection. Engine was just rebuilt. New fuel system including a reman pump. However at the rear of the pump, there is no bolt to insert the timing tool. Since its a small bolt, inside a bigger bolt, I tried removing my old one (which had the timing hole) however the socket is a weird 3 sided one and I can't find anything that'll work.

So here I am, my only hope is to time it by ear. I set it to the base mark and went up a little bit. Here's a video of how it sounds.

Dunno, sounds a little quieter then what it used to sound like. Fuel screw might be a bit too high. Here's a walkaround video.

Honestly just feels slow, slow in the low range, doesn't like revving. When I pin it it takes about 5 seconds to go from 50 km/h to 60 km/h. And flooring it just dumps a butt load of soot.

Too advanced nails, too retarded sounds soft and quiet. Video recordings can distort sound to the point they're hard to use.

Oh man, that sounds hard to do.
Try putting a series of marks on the pump and flange next to the factory marks. Maybe with a fine sharpie. It will be to keep moving it a 1/16 of an inch at a time and drive it to see how it feels. If it improves, keep moving in that direction until it worsens again. If it only gets worse, move it the other way. I'd use the same street, and the same test. Like 40-60 kph. Time it. Then move it and check the time. Needs to be a speed where no gear changes need to happen and the speed increase needs to be long enough to measure where small variables don't affect it.

I've only ever played with fuel delivery on my pump, not timing. On a 3B.

I recall there was a youtube video somewhere about this exact topic.. basically, you turn the pump until the sound changes and then back it off just a touch!

Using the same stretch of road as a test is a good suggestion.
I had a long steep hill near me I used to use for testing when tuning.
It was long enough to hit the start of the hill coasting at around 40-50km/hr in 4th. Pin the throttle to the floor and hold it all the way up to 100-120 km/hr.
Watch for changes in your EGTs and boost v response as well as listening to the engine.

This test takes you from full throttle, low RPM, max fuel, high boost, max engine load, through to high RPM, fuel leaning out, boost tapering off, engine, head, pistons, etc all heat soaked.

Repeatedly running the same road, same test let's you get a feel for tune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom