How to tell if the frame is rusted? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i am at home and bored....both kids asleep and the wife watching TV. I grap a beer and crawled underneath the truck. I get my light and just start fishing for what needs to be replaced next. As i am looking at the frame there is a build up of just crap so i scrap it off. Some parts look like they are starting to rust but i just can't tell. What does a rusty frame look like? Holes, Chipping and flaking, what?

Say my frame is in the early stages of rusting. How long do i have till its not safe to drive anymore and what can put on it to stop it from spreadnig further? POR? Would i need to sand down what i see now or just overlap it with POR?

Thanks

This build up of crap that you speak of needs to be scraped, brushed; just removed period. Spring cleaning on your rig is a good thing.

Get to bare metal in a place or three; see how it looks clean it nice and swell and POR over it. That should do ya. I'd put $10 on the body going before the frame if both were treated with relative respect to rust and aging.

Good Luck. (and wear goggles 8) )

Tom IV

hit it with a hammer and if it goes through it, your frame is screwed :cheers:

at least thats how we tell in snowy, salty canada.

Hammer and combination prybar/chisel(flat tip screwdriver)...

SAFTEY GLASSES ARE ON RIGHT???

Oh, and as soon as you tap on the frame, other crap WILL fall in your face or ears...

Funtime!

Good luck!

-Steve

If it is swelling and flaking then that is significant rusting. It is throughout the steel you can probably slow it with cleaning and POR or other simular product but I don't think you can stop it. From my limited experience I think the rear section of frame and cross member(bumper) are where the rusting is the worst. The condition of that would be a good gauge for the overall structure of the frame. If there are holes and excessive swelling(twice the thickness it should be) I would get into doing some serious investigating. Good hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom