How to tell if oil pump was installed without dropping pan??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.threeelementsdesigns.com
I have a motor about to go into my truck, that I have cleaned up and replaced the gaskets on. Unfortunately I haven't worked on the motor in about 6 months, and came across two oil pumps in my parts area. I'm quite sure I only had one spare. So I'm not sure that I installed it after I cleaned it up about 6 months ago. Any tricks to see if there is a pump in there without having to drop the pan, rescrape my gasket, and install again? Perhaps through the distributor? Please help, I'm feeling rather stupid all of a sudden.

Look down the distributor hole, see if you see anything...

Pull the coil wire, turn over the starter and see if you have oil pressure.

Long flatblade screwdriver inserted, you should be able to feel the slot and turn it either direction and feel a bit of resistance.

Excellent news. The motor is on a stand, so no way to start it up. I really didn't want to pull the pan after I got the motor in the truck. Soooo much easier when rotated up in a stand. I'll look tommorrow and see what it looks like. Thank you guys. I can't believe what a boneheaded move this was. Good news though, I might have two spare oil pumps!

Now, are you sure you put the oil pick-up tube on the bottom of the oil pump?

Since we now know that good oil pressure can be had with 2 qts in the pan, you could put in 2 qts and stick a long screwdriver in a drill and spin the pump, and look for oil pressure. I think that would mean the pickup is there too. :beer:

Since we now know that good oil pressure can be had with 2 qts in the pan, you could put in 2 qts and stick a long screwdriver in a drill and spin the pump, and look for oil pressure. I think that would mean the pickup is there too. :beer:

That's a good idea. You might be able to see oil coming up to the rocker arms before you could see easily measurable pressure on the gauge.

Probably not without turning the engine over at the same time...doesn't the rocker arm oil have to go through the cam first?
pull the oil pressure sender instead.

That's a good idea. You might be able to see oil coming up to the rocker arms before you could see easily measurable pressure on the gauge.

I totally agree with the idea of looking down the distributor hole. No slot = no oil pump. It isn't that hard to remove the oil pan. If there is a doubt, there is no doubt. Take a look. If you start up with no oil pump, your life is going to suck fast.

Probably not without turning the engine over at the same time...doesn't the rocker arm oil have to go through the cam first?
pull the oil pressure sender instead.

You're right: it would come out of the sender hole first. But I've pre-lubed my rocker arms with a drill several times.

I'm going to try to spin it, and check for oil at the sender. This motor has been sitting for about a year and a half so a little oil getting moved around before start up is probably good for it.

You're right: it would come out of the sender hole first. But I've pre-lubed my rocker arms with a drill several times.

Like IDAVE said. I'd get a cheapy screwdriver and cut off the handle, put it in the drill and turn away.:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom