How to tell if Oil Pump in a 1FZ-FE is good or failing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
I pulled the engine out of our 97 LX450. It's at the machine shop now. Question is this, how would i know if the oil pump, rotor etc would need to be replaced. The oil pump cover has a small piece missing from the cover. Doesnt leak bit will be replacing that cover anyway. When we pulled the upper oil pan, the pick-up screen was full of all kinds of nasty. Silicone remnants, metal shavings etc. It was pretty bad.
I will be replacing the oil cooler and every imaginable gasket with all OE parts.

Is there a way to tell if the entire oil pump assembly which is most of the front of the engine is sound? I mean i can't see what would go wrong here, as long as its cleaned and has no damage/cracks should be fine correct? Same for the oil pump rotor and cog? Does that go bad, and how would i know if it is faulty?

While i have everything ripped apart, i want to replace anything that may potentially be an issue. But certainly don't want to replace parts that are built to last a lifetime (sorta). truck only has 150k. But PO apparently doesn't like to maintain and here we are. :censor:

Thanks for all suggestions

Hey guys,
I pulled the engine out of our 97 LX450. It's at the machine shop now. Question is this, how would i know if the oil pump, rotor etc would need to be replaced. The oil pump cover has a small piece missing from the cover. Doesnt leak bit will be replacing that cover anyway. When we pulled the upper oil pan, the pick-up screen was full of all kinds of nasty. Silicone remnants, metal shavings etc. It was pretty bad.
I will be replacing the oil cooler and every imaginable gasket with all OE parts.

Is there a way to tell if the entire oil pump assembly which is most of the front of the engine is sound? I mean i can't see what would go wrong here, as long as its cleaned and has no damage/cracks should be fine correct? Same for the oil pump rotor and cog? Does that go bad, and how would i know if it is faulty?

While i have everything ripped apart, i want to replace anything that may potentially be an issue. But certainly don't want to replace parts that are built to last a lifetime (sorta). truck only has 150k. But PO apparently doesn't like to maintain and here we are. :censor:

Thanks for all suggestions
The FSM does have some measurements, etc. for the moving parts of the oil pump. Got mine together from a complete rebuild 2 weeks ago. I didn't worry about my oil pump because even though the engine had 373k miles, the PO babied the vehicle. No debris in the screen - at all. I did purchase a new oil pump bushing and install tool, but didn't bother installing because the original seems (and is) good. If you want, I'll sell you mine, no biggie, just let me know. :meh: :cheers:

I'd recommend using the allen head screws as a replacement for the cover, Wits End has a kit. I got mine from Belmetric, the Wits End kit might be a bit better though.

Agreed with above.

If you hot tank the block, you should replace the pump shaft bush.

My pump parts, and timing casing barely had a mark on it at 250k km (160k miles) , so clean there was not even any point measuring any of it.

The FSM does have some measurements, etc. for the moving parts of the oil pump. Got mine together from a complete rebuild 2 weeks ago. I didn't worry about my oil pump because even though the engine had 373k miles, the PO babied the vehicle. No debris in the screen - at all. I did purchase a new oil pump bushing and install tool, but didn't bother installing because the original seems (and is) good. If you want, I'll sell you mine, no biggie, just let me know. :meh: :cheers:

I'd recommend using the allen head screws as a replacement for the cover, Wits End has a kit. I got mine from Belmetric, the Wits End kit might be a bit better though.
Popped into the machine shop today and the old screws to the oil pump have broken philips bit inside a couple of them. They will get crafty to remove those and i have a set of new oem screws ordered already. I did not see this reply until after i got back from the machine shop, so i will have to take a peek at the brass bushing. If you can dm me a price for what you would sell it for and will wait to hear from the machine shop monday if we need it.

I did notice the inside of the timing cover that the timing chain was slapping against it and scored some of the metal inside. Machine shop said it won't be an issue as it doesnt effect the crank seal or any other parts. I'm still on the fence on that. Thoughts on this? I should have taken a pic for reference :mad:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom