How to straighten rear driveshaft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 80 is vibrating a lot when getting at highway speeds. This happened after I had the front axle seal replaced (the one on the differential not the pinion). Before I got it to my normal shop I had it taken to a gas station to get it filled with gear oil to get it up to the shop. Well, what they did is take off the paper seal around the diff when they put oil into it. Now they did this without asking or without me knowing. My question is when the third member was bolted back on without the paper seal could that have moved the transfer case making the driveshaft not straight and cause the vibrations?

It sounds like your drive shaft is out of phase. However, from your post, I can tell you should not try to fix this yourself. Find a good mechanic and take it to him.

Cruiserdrew said:
It sounds like your drive shaft is out of phase. However, from your post, I can tell you should not try to fix this yourself. Find a good mechanic and take it to him.

I agree.

However, before doing so, take your LC to a friendly gas station, put it on their lift with someone in the drivers seat and the wheels hanging free, and run the car in gear to the speed wherein the vibration happens. If the drive shaft is at fault, you will see it. You will probably also see if the wheels are at fault.

( I just don't see how anyone working in a gas station could muck up so simple a job as changeing differential oil. )

Kalawang

Kalawang said:
I agree.

However, before doing so, take your LC to a friendly gas station, put it on their lift with someone in the drivers seat and the wheels hanging free, and run the car in gear to the speed wherein the vibration happens. If the drive shaft is at fault, you will see it. You will probably also see if the wheels are at fault.

( I just don't see how anyone working in a gas station could muck up so simple a job as changeing differential oil. )

Kalawang

Yeah, I'm not so good with words when trying to describe mechanical problems with my 80. Well what happend was the gas station was close to having to shut down their shop since they weren't getting any buisness. My hunch is they pulled the seal to make it leak worse and have me come back and let them fix it. I don't think the gas station mucked up the job by accident.

How can this be fixed? I work on my 80 myself just not very articulate when trying to describe whats going on, probably why my professor gave me a D on my last description/definition paper :doh:

How can this be fixed? I work on my 80 myself just not very articulate when trying to describe whats going on, probably why my professor gave me a D on my last description/definition paper :doh:[/QUOTE]

Toyota seal is cork-I believe. If they (the gas station) pulled the entire third member to change oil, then they opened up your hubs, and pulled the axles-very unlikely (how long did they have it for????-the gas station that is). I'd expect leaking axle seals (The ones behind the birfield not the pinion or diff seal) in the near future if they did in fact pull the axles-unless it was done correctly and they repacked birfs, replaced seals-or were absolutely carefull when pulling/installing the axles. I would guess they tried to "crack" the third memer seal to drain-if that may be correct. They likely have no idea toyota axles have a drain plug-which isn't so common on DANA axle housings or Curry for that matter.

I am not quite sure why the same job would have been completed twice??? The gas station then the mech????

confused still. If you took it to the gas station to fill up w/ gear oil, before taking it to your mechanic to replace the diff gasket, how did the gas station pull the hubs/axles and remove the diff gasget, but your mechanic was none the wiser?????

I'd blame the mechanic for not catching something that was inherent to his job scope.

um, putting on my Canadian Tire oil change monkey hat here, maybe they could not get the drain plug loose, so they cracked the diff to drain it, then once they cracked the diff they tore the seal so then they backed it off far enough to tear the whole seal off ? :confused: wouldn't it have been easier to pull a birf and then turn the cruiser over on one side to drain it? :D

anyway, to answer your original question, the driveshaft has a slip yoke so it can extend or retract as needed and would not be bothered by the extra distance to the pinion created by a missing seal. if your truck is not lifted and the vibrations you feel are in your butt and vary depending on whether you are giving it gas, I would guess one or more of your u-joints is the problem. Have you lubed them lately? If giving it gas makes no difference, I would guess the wheel bearing preload needs adjusting or you have something loose in the steering, especially if you can feel it in the steering wheel.

As far as missing the seal, are you getting oil stains under the truck? If not, I would still be worried about going through water.

nyk438 said:
My 80 is vibrating a lot when getting at highway speeds. This happened after I had the front axle seal replaced (the one on the differential not the pinion). Before I got it to my normal shop I had it taken to a gas station to get it filled with gear oil to get it up to the shop. Well, what they did is take off the paper seal around the diff when they put oil into it. Now they did this without asking or without me knowing. My question is when the third member was bolted back on without the paper seal could that have moved the transfer case making the driveshaft not straight and cause the vibrations?

Just tell me you ain't a native Texan..........if so we may need to boot you...
Butch

I have to wonder if somewhere along the line the driveshaft slip joint got lubed. It's easy for a bonehead to jam a greasegun on there and pump it full of grease. It can't take that. I don't know if that's your problem, it could easily happen if someone who doesn't know Cruisers in in there servicing it.

Did they pull the axle shafts when breaking loose the third?

How does any of this have to do with the subject of the thread?

Texican said:
Just tell me you ain't a native Texan..........if so we may need to boot you...
Butch

Prolly not. No colorful Texas metaphors. "My 80 is vibratin' more than a 5 string banjo on a Saturday night...." I think he's from New Jersey.

More seriously, I am having trouble interpreting the actual question. I understand the vibration part, and I like the idea of too much grease in the slip joint, or my original idea of the out of phase shaft, I do not understand the rest of it though.

Quote: "This happened after I had the front axle seal replaced (the one on the differential not the pinion)"

What axle seal other than the one on the pinion? Was it an inner axle seal or the pinion seal? THere is not another seal on the differential.

Quote: "Well, what they did is take off the paper seal around the diff when they put oil into it. Now they did this without asking or without me knowing."

Nyk-You had to authorize the work. Plus, it's a huge amount of work to remove the "paper seal" between the third and the axle housing. Why would they do that? Did you mean something else? How much did this cost? If less than several hundred $$ they did not remove the third, it seriously is too much work.

Quote: "My question is when the third member was bolted back on without the paper seal could that have moved the transfer case making the driveshaft not straight and cause the vibrations?"

The answer to this is no. I have seen 3rd members installed with just Permatex and no gasket, and it seems OK. Are you saying now there is a leak? The nuts that hold on the front third do frequently loosen up-tighten them to 20 foot pounds and you might get lucky with the leak, but again, not related to your vibration.

Don't I remember way back you had a leak at the front pinion seal? That often means a bad pinion bearing. That can vibrate especially on decelleration. I don't know Texas geography very well, but regardless, I reccomend you take the 80 to Butch's shop and have him look at it. That way he can decide if you need to leave the state, and what your poor and suffering 80 really needs besides a new owner.:flipoff2: J/K

nyk438 said:
... probably why my professor gave me a D on my last description/definition paper :doh:

Have you ever noticed that people will always say:

"I made an A on my calculus final"

yet...

"My professor gave me a D on my [ ... ] paper."

Nyk and that poor truck have been haunting the forums for about 18 months now. He's yet to make a lucid post.

-B-

Beowulf said:
Have you ever noticed that people will always say:

"I made an A on my calculus final"

yet...

"My professor gave me a D on my [ ... ] paper."

LOL.

Curtis
Associate Professor of Mathematics

Cruiserdrew said:
I don't know Texas geography very well, but regardless, I reccomend you take the 80 to Butch's shop and have him look at it. That way he can decide if you need to leave the state, and what your poor and suffering 80 really needs besides a new owner.:flipoff2: J/K

San Antone and Bonham are on opposite ends of the state.

Gumby said:
San Antone and Bonham are on opposite ends of the state.

Well not total "opposite" ends, but far enough away, I'm comfortable I won't see it in my shop..........:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

I'll bet good money he's a UT import student........probably from north of the Red River..........:flipoff2:

Butch

And the title of this thread is . . ."How to straighten rear driveshaft.":confused:

Beowulf said:
Nyk and that poor truck have been haunting the forums for about 18 months now. He's yet to make a lucid post.

-B-

Sir you are far to kind in your gifted use of understatement.:cool:

Oh and Butch for the first time ever I think I might actually feel for you.:D

CJF said:
LOL.

Curtis
Associate Professor of Mathematics

Ya know, the truth is that his professor probably did give him a D instead of the F that he actually earned. :grinpimp:

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom