How to store Gerry cans and keep good bottoms? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not driving the 40 as much, now that the 80 is built. Now that it sits more, and not cycling fuel through the Gerry Cans, wondering the best way to preserve the bottoms of the cans? Over the years accumulated a good set of metal cans, and though not used much, would like to keep ‘em solid & not leaking.

First thought was to keep a little fuel in ‘em, just enough to cover the bottoms, then thought, that will just force any possible water, to the bottom. Any suggestions how to store ‘em and keep ‘em sound ?
974DEBE5-CAE5-40A9-942F-0F8B9205FE31.jpeg

For the outsides, I would clean, wire brush, rust treat, and paint. Not much you can do for the insides. Empty, dry, and closed up I think would be best unless you want to oil coat for long term storage but then you would need to flush it out when you go to use them. It would it depend on how long they are going to sit. If you were to oil coat for long term, I think I would use 2 cycle oil mixed with just enough gas so you could slosh it around, get it coated and then dump out the excess. Well, those are my thoughts.

Store full with non-ethanol gas.

Question - you guys have a source for the big flexible G-can pour spouts? Not the skinny modern car ones.

Question - you guys have a source for the big flexible G-can pour spouts? Not the skinny modern car ones.
Blitz Mfg. Who made those cans has been bankrupt for several years. Try eBay or garage sale.

I have not found any spouts that work well without drips on these cans. I’ve tried making better gaskets, tried new gaskets. About the only thing that works is screwing them tight, then hammering tighter. Hardly worth the trouble. I just siphon.

I have not found any spouts that work well without drips on these cans. I’ve tried making better gaskets, tried new gaskets. About the only thing that works is screwing them tight, then hammering tighter. Hardly worth the trouble. I just siphon.
I have a couple of Viet-Nam Era (USMC) Gerry Cans as well as a couple Blitz jobs.. I had one of my five develop a leak (weep) at the bottom seam..
I have brazed these seams before.. to avoid the feeling of having a lit stick of dynamite in your pocket, I filled the cans with water (full!) then braze the seams. So far, they've been holding for several decades.. I rinsed-out with Kerosene.. cuts the water and leaves an oily residue behind.
Also, on the "leaks around the gaskets".. They might not be "leaks", but the "vents" in the top of the Gerry Cans.. My Viet-Nam era vents have longer vents (metal tubing) and they do not leak, at all.. The Blitz Cans have shorter vents and will "almost leak" standing upright going over a rough road!! If you unscrew the lid, you should see, somewhere around the perimeter, a hole.. This is the actual vent.. It might be that your gasket is not wide enough to cover the vent, thus the leak. I made my own gaskets but made them wide enough to cover the vent hole. I just screw them on "hand tight" then give the "ears" a couple of taps with a brass hammer.. No leaks!
Charles 1974 FJ40

Have a number of these jerry cans dating back to the early seventies. When empty I just leave them out in the sun and let the gas evaporate. After just store them in the garage with cap loose. Insulated garage so even at sub freezing temperatures condensation is not a problem.

IMG_20190828_115125807.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom