How to slay moles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was trying to think of a way to contribute to this forum and figured a good way to start would be mole killing 101.

I'll take some pics when I find a fresh mole hole so you have a step by step picture guide.

I'm not saying I'm the best, but I have killed well over 100 in my day. My friends joke I should start a mole killing business called "The Mole-ester" and drive to jobs in a creepy van.

I use several kinds of traps, but have found the best/ cheapest/ easiest are the Victor traps.

168908_lg.jpg

09b0b4de-46f8-4d83-98b8-a4ab044c3da1_300.jpg

The following is how I set my traps. Victor's directions have changed from time to time but I know this works.

Locating The Superhighway

1. Clear away the soil above the ground level.

2. Try pushing your finger in the center of the mound until you find a soft spot which will be the hole. If you can't find it, use a narrow trowel to slowly remove dirt until you find a vertical shaft leading down into the ground.

3. Think of it like an upside down "T". You dig down the center shaft, and then there will be an entrance and an exit running through the center of the mole hill. You are doing good if you locate this, as it is the mole superhighway and where you will lay down the pain train.:skull:

Once you find the center hole, dig down about 4" bellow ground level. Don't make the hole you dig down with more than 3"x3". Use your finger to root around and find the entrance/ exit. I've never been bit so you should be ok. That coming from some guy you've never met on the internet. You'll just have to trust me.

4. Make your hole for your trap barely bigger than the hole itself. If you make it to big, you will need to refil parts of the hole.

5. You want to channel the mole through the jaws and under the trigger. Set the trap and holding onto the set bars, lower the trap into the hole. See where the mole can get around the jaws and pull the trap back out. Pack dirt in those areas so the mole will have to go between the jaws.

6. Now you need the speed bump. Find a rock that is around 1.5" in diameter and push it down in the center of the superhighway. Then place dirt around it to make a speed bump. The mole will come through one end, travel up the speed bump into the trigger and game over.

Adjusting The Trap
oos-set.gif

See where the arrow points to the locking bar? (It's the lower right arrow in this dismal picture). This is where you can adjust how sensitive the trap is. Gently bend the pan hook from the original 90 degree vertical position to a flatter angle. Don't go too flat or it will not stay.

7. Set the trap after you have tried adjusting and hit up on the pan with a stick. Use a long stick so you don't chop your fingers off. If it goes off fairly easily your doing ok. If you really have to smack the stick up into the trigger, bend the little lip on the locking bar to make it more sensitive. Think about the size of a mole. They don't have a ton of power or weight, so the trigger needs to be light enough to be set off when a mole bumps into it. This step is critical.

8. Holding onto the set bars, lower the trap into the hole. If it goes off early, pull it back out and try again. You can push the trap teeth into the dirt a little bit to get the trigger closer to the speed bump.

9. Put a bucket over the trap. I've caught moles without the bucket, but it's nice to know where they are.

10. Set about 2-3 traps for each area. When I go to a friends house with a mole problem I set 8-12 traps on average. You usually have at least 1 within 24 hours. I got one within 15 minutes one time.

11. Don't get frustrated if a trap goes off and there is no mole. Analyze how they got away and set the trap again with proper adjustments.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Wow, this will be useful for me no doubt. I have been battling moles for years with only one real confirmed kill. I always took the route of poisoning the piss out of the food source route(grubs) to get rid of the moles.
Not sure if I ever saw that typ of trap though, or maybe haven't noticed.

I wonder if moles would be susceptible to my favorite gopher solution- a car exhaust piped into one of the holes...?

-Spike

I've tried some crazy things over the years, as have my friends.

-Don't put a garden hose down the hole. In my experience it makes them dig more holes and will not send them to the neighbors yard.

-Don't put gas down the hole, blow it deep with a leaf blower and then light the hole on fire. While the gorund will go "boom!" and the mole will be dead, so will all of the paths of lawn where the mole dug. My friend made this mistake and I got to laugh at him.

-While cool, the shotgun traps are not too safe. I've heard several "blew a hole through the fence" stories.

Hopefully I'll find time this week to set some traps and get pics up.

I've tried some crazy things over the years, as have my friends.

-Don't put gas down the hole, blow it deep with a leaf blower and then light the hole on fire. While the gorund will go "boom!" and the mole will be dead, so will all of the paths of lawn where the mole dug. My friend made this mistake and I got to laugh at him.

Sounds like a blast to me :eek:

I WILL be trying this at my next opportunity. :D

-Spike (I can't wait. I wonder if any of my neighbors have gophers?)

my grandpa did the tractor exhaust thing. The gasoline one sounds funner :D

Great write up on a trap you have had success with. I thought I had a mole problem. Nope, it was gopher and then ground squirrels.

Now before everybody start blowing up the neighborhood with thier can of gas and a leaf blower. You should really know what you are hunting.

Mole
Gopher
Vole
Ground Squirrel

Techniques for trapping / killing each are different.

Here it is a problem with pack rats. Live traps followed by scuba lessons seem to work the best. Although the dog has become a rat killing machine.I think moles would wear their claws down to stumps in our soil.

I also think Bill was onto something..
images.jpg

Now before everybody start blowing up the neighborhood with thier can of gas and a leaf blower. You should really know what you are hunting.

Mole
Gopher
Vole
Ground Squirrel

Techniques for trapping / killing each are different.

Tell me which one that technique WON'T work on. :D

Of course, I don't really care. The next time I find a hole, the gas goes in it. I'm considering searching open fields in town for some mound activity. :D

-Spike

Last edited:
You really need to use the Rodex 5000.

Tell me which one that technique WON'T work on. :D

Of course, I don't really care. The next time I find a hole, the gas goes in it. I'm considering searching open fields in town for some mound activity. :D

-SPike

You will never touch a can of gas and leaf blower for varmit control ever again.

:cheers:

how do you tell if you got gophers or moles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom