1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to: secure a u-haul trailer w/o coupler lock

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by miked, Jul 31, 2005.

1. miked

miked

my friend is moving across country and picked up a small u-haul trailer. it does not have a coupler lock and he is worried about theft of the trailer while he is sleeping in a motel. we looked at the safety chains and came up with a way to paddle lock them but they are no match for cheap bolt cutters.

the only other thing i could come up with was a battery powered motion detector that sounds a 120db alarm if the trailer is moved. the problem with that, as i see it, is that if he hears the alarm, and goes out to find three hulks who challenge him.
    he's the type of guy who would not back down from a challenge...ever.
    he thinks he'll just beat'em up enough that they'll think it's not worth it to continue.

he refuses to take any means of protection with him. i have offered him my OC w/ CS military gas but he won't take it. i don't know why he won't at least pack OC(pepper spray). although the CS gas brings added responsibility for proper and necessary use, it also brings a quicker end to the threat.

not only am i worried about his trailer, i'm worried about what might happen during an attempted thievery.

any thoughts on how secure a trailer without a coupler lock?

2. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

I used to use a Kryptonite lock in place of the hitch pin at nite. I'd also run a cable thru all the propane tanks and the trailer hitch and around my hitch. The cable was a myriad of wire meshes encased in a clear plastic sheath. Would a lot tougher to cut thru one of those cables than chains. Unfortunately you can pick a Kryptonite lock in under 10 seconds with a Bic pen .. :rolleyes:

If the friend has an air compressor, what about flattening the tires each evening, and reinflating them in the morning before he sets out again?

TY

3. Poriomania

Poriomania

Parking in a way no one could move the trailer if they unhooked it might be an option. Jackknife it with the hitch pointing into a corner could work. With the tongue length they would not be able to swing it past the end of his truck to hook it to another.

4. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    is the coupler welded on or bolted on? I have never seen one without a lock. Personally I would not pull a trailer that could not be locked, I have seen the coupler lock latch "open" itself before

if you can bolt a new coupler on they are only $15.

5. Scamper

Scamper

Yeah...I'll second Beau's comment. I've never seen a coupler that didn't have a hole to lock the lever down. Not so that some ahole couldn't steal it so much, but to prevent inadvertent opening of the hitch as you drive. It would be pretty unlikely that UHaul wouldn't provide this sort of safety device...they even don't want you driving over 45mph :rolleyes:

6. miked

miked

here's what were looking at.
    he bought a cable lock this evening and plans on running it thru the same loops the safety chain uses

edited to add: thanks for the replies so far.

7. lowenbrau

lowenbrau

A baby monitor works good for hearing if something is going on out there before the thieves have enough energy invested to make it worth the trouble of a confrontation. $30 at Walmart for a cordless one.

I've always wondered how an electric fence controller would work on a trailer. They make battery powered versions and I think it'd be a real treat watching/listening to some lowlife zappin the hell out of himself trying to foil one. I worry a little about liabilities but I think I'm willing to play the odds that no granny with a pacemaker is going to steer her walker too close to my stuff.

8. Woodie

Woodie Guest

If he drives as fast as he can then he will diminish the risk as he will get to his fanil detsination sooner.

9. zetasig

zetasig

Tie dog to the hitch!.

Just kidding. Floor jack and lug wrench. Pop one or both of the wheels off and use the floor jack to set it on the ground. Take the wheels with you.

or drive fast.

10. GetsUThere

GetsUThere

He could just buy a coupler lock. They're only about 40 bucks for a decent one. Just sell it on ebay when he's done with it.

11. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    i second removing a wheel and taking it into the motel. myboat trailer security system at the cabin consists of removing the wheels and removing the hitch itself but your hitch does not look removable. get one of those cheap hydraulic jack/axle stand sets. It will also help if you get a flat.