How to replenish knuckles with grease? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
OK, cleaned up my knuckles well to see if there would be Birf p... errr... soup coming out. So far so good, but interestingly, it looks like the front of the knuckles do not show as much of a layer of new knuckle grease as the back, in fact maybe none at all. This suggests that there may not be enough grease in there, despite the fact that I saw some through the filler hole when checked.

Sooo.... now for the question, does it matter how you squirt the grease in, say front vs back? Should one stick the hose deep in and move it around for the 6 squirts? Or does it not matter at all cuz it will all get recirculated by the ABS ring and axle or whatever that's spinning in there?

watcha think ?

thanks

Eric (who is also mulling what to do about needing 2 different types of greases and having only one grease gun)

Uhhh...I'm not going to answer that one. I'll let Junk "learn" ya.

You have knuckles in the back????? Seriously, there is no place to squirt grease in the back. In the front, Toyota provides that nice threaded hole. There is some controversy about whether or not it does any good to squirt grease in the hole in the knuckle, but Toyota has been reccomending it since 1958 so I do it. I put in about 30 squirts of a grease tube, that's a lot more than 6 squirts. Better still, would be a birfield repack, which does get the grease in the right place. I only have one grease gun and use the Amsoil moly grease. Supposedly its good for everything, so I have it in all my knuckles and all my zerk grease points. I think you are making this harder than it is. Anything you do will be better than the way it is now.

editorial comment:

Be forewarned: anybody who makes any joke about any of the statements in the original post will do nothing more than displaying a twisted sick mind, serious envy, and profound need for some psychoanalytical counseling having to do with deeply-rooted Freudian wants...

:D
Eric

Cruiserdrew, I think Eric meant front or back of the front knuckle,

<Sooo.... now for the question, front vs back? Should one stick the hose deep in>
<and move it around for the 6 squirts? Or does it not matter at all cuz it will all get>
<recirculated by whatevers spinning in there?>

no Joke necessary you have done it all for us :p

the grease you put in the fill port is very unlikely to make it into the CV itself it is to far separated from the fill port, but on the other hand replenishing the knuckle may help to block grease from flowing out of the birf cavity and keeps the wiper seals lubricated and sealed (grease is a crude sealant) with that in mind you are just maintaining the level in the knuckle for what is lost so just putting grease in the hole is sufficient, no need to try to get it to a certain place

you do not want to completely fill the knuckle as the parts move around they move the grease out of the way if there is not air space for the grease to move to the grease will find a way out damaging the seals (fluids are not compressible under normal circumstances)

well, what the heck, I just squirted 10 squirts of Lithium/Moly in each knuckle just haphazardlly in the hole. Hopefully, it will get spread around by the internal motion. Looked pretty empty in there before....
I have cleaned the knuckle outside carefully, so we'll see if it comes out properly or not. If not, there we'll go again...
E

dang, only the bottom 1/3 of the knuckle outside shows the grease as of now. Looked inside, still pretty empty looking.
Added another 10 squirts each.
Will check again in a bit.
The squirting saga continues...
(and, yes, it's Moly / Lithium!)
E

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=13559;start=msg127818#msg127818 date=1080375409]
dang, only the bottom 1/3 of the knuckle outside shows the grease as of now. Looked inside, still pretty empty looking.
Added another 10 squirts each.
Will check again in a bit.
The squirting saga continues...
(and, yes, it's Moly / Lithium!)
E

[/quote]

I've delt with dealers in Georgia and Missouri and have not found any that new you were suppose to squirt grease into the steering knuckles. I bet your PO never had them greased.

I'm with Pitbull. Just stick the tip of the grease gun in there, and give each knuckle half a tube of grease. Then when you tear into it in 3 months you will see if it did any good. I did this on my FJ60 when I bought it and when I did the birfield repack a few months later it definitely got spread around in the knuckle. Not sure it lubed the birf though. I don't remember which wise 80's lister wrote this, but I believe it: "Where there is grease, there is not water".

1/2 tube???? oh, the horror!
watch out! you gonna be ganged on by the 6-squirt-max club!
Dontcha know I'm already playing with fire by doing 10!
E

Actually, I'm from the 6 squirt club (founder's club), but that's for a knuckle that you know has been repacked and is a maintenance strategy thereafter. If you have a used 80 with unknown history, using a half tube would be wise as excess will simply be on the outer knuckle and that way you avoid the possibility you bought it nearly dry and 6 squirts isn't enough. When is six squirts enough anyhow?........

DougM

oooooh!

Yes, it very much looks like I was given the green light to go ahead and squirt even more by none other than our guru Doug!

This will be done! Oh, Great Knuckle God, thy thirst shall be quenched by the half-tube!

:)

E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom