How to Replace Oil Pump seal w/ Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so with the head already mauled up- you may have to drill them out. Use a left hand drill bit, not the home depot drill bit sitting on your shelf. A TRUE LEFT HAND DRILL BIT AND SET THE DRILL TO SPIN TO THE LEFT.

not sure if you have access to a small welder but i would try to tack a bead next if the drilling out does work and try to get them out. take your time.

if you cant do neither, just button it back up and pretend nothing happened
No welder alas. It’s on my list of things to learn as I retire.

Plan is to button it up for a few weeks as I’ve family coming out and I need to use it - then pull the radiator and get after it with better access and replace the cover since it’s been hacked at.

That shallow cut won't hurt anything. Lots of tricks to get out the screws,
place a bit into what's left of the slots and tap them all a few times to help break any bonds (galvanic corrosion or ?threadlocker), tapping around the edges of the cover with a small hammer might also help loosen the screws.

Could drill a larger hole into the heads of the screws then use the next size up Easy Out with a small impact wrench/driver. As mentioned above you could try a left hand drill bit. If you damage the cover no big deal, buy a new one, but try not to go any deeper than the thickness of the cover or you might get into the threads of the (threaded) holes in the timing cover.

I use a compact Milwaukee M12 Impact Driver, works well for this job IME:

Also just noticed in the first pic on the second screw down there has been a notch cut by a someone who isn’t me.

Does this look fine or should I plan on replacing the cover ?
Hope you plan on replacing those screws with the Allen hex head replacement make life a lot easier in the future

So I found myself down this rabbit hole a few years ago and IF I remember correctly, you can take a 1/4" drill bit and that will pop off the heads of the screws, allowing you to get the cover off and then take a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the rest of the helical coil and twist it out (or still have to drill out a screw or two, but atleast you will have a better picture of the room you'll work with). Also if you go to drilling in this last step, should be 1/8" drill bit and the last bit of helical coil should disintegrate since it will become pretty hollow and very weak.
Btw if you don't want to remove the whole front, dewalt sells a pretty nifty 90 degree drill that I used and it was the right tool for the job with the space.

So I found myself down this rabbit hole a few years ago and IF I remember correctly, you can take a 1/4" drill bit and that will pop off the heads of the screws, allowing you to get the cover off and then take a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the rest of the helical coil and twist it out (or still have to drill out a screw or two, but atleast you will have a better picture of the room you'll work with). Also if you go to drilling in this last step, should be 1/8" drill bit and the last bit of helical coil should disintegrate since it will become pretty hollow and very weak.
Btw if you don't want to remove the whole front, dewalt sells a pretty nifty 90 degree drill that I used and it was the right tool for the job with the space.
I had a couple of stubborn ones that wouldn't budge, cammed-out, stripped. Heat and a left handed drill bit was the magic combo that worked for me (after trying everything you've already tried).

I do. Soon as they are out the wits end kit puts the new cover in
Did you do this job yet? If not I just did it today. Drilled the head off and accidentally took too much so wasn't able to grab bolt with pliers but the bolt was ready for a small drill hole as the larger drill prepared the surface of the bolt without need of a punch to center it. You may still need to though.
So I drilled small hole into bolt and used these speed bits and they came out very easy, you just need deep enough hole for the extractor bit to grab a little and they came right out. Thankfully these screws/bolts are so short, there isn't much to unthread.
My radiator is out btw which made it painless.

knuckles deep on this one at the moment and appreciate all the pointers. Balancer off and 7 for 7 out on the pump cover. I've designed o-ring joints...it's pretty obvious the problem (leak) with mine is the o-ring cooked down to too small a diameter with aging under pressure. Probably compressed into the groove about .003"at least. Guess that means the pump is working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom