How to remove gas tank '82 FJ40 ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Help!

How do you remove the gas tank from an '82 FJ40. There doesn't appear to be room what with the frame, cross members and exhaust. What's the trick? I'm installing a new tub and need to get everything attached to the old one off before I pull it. Another thought - Do I have to completely remove it or would just unbolting it from the tub and leaving it in place be a better method?

Do it after you pull the old tub. When I took mine off and saw how it was in there the only way I thought it would come out was if the tub was off, or at least free from its body mounts and jacked up off the frame.

Where did you find a new tub at? Im looking for one for my '79.
How bad is your old one?

hey, you stole my user ID!

the easiest way, remove the 4 mid and rear body mount bolts (don't need to touch the two firewall ones). using 2 x 4's, lever up the tub at the rear until there is enough space to shove a 2x4 spacer under the rear channel. At this point, there is just enough to clear the frame rails while spinning the tank- remember to also drop the rear driveline. It's an ugly process but does not take that long. If you pull the tub it's gravy easy.

Rick is just talking to himself this morning :D

I just finished reinstalling my tank on my newly reinstalled and painted 79FJ40 tub - because of some poor planning I couldn't bolt the tank up while the tub was off - boy would that have been MUCH easier - you definitely will need to drop the rear drive shaft and lift up the tub - becareful - too much and the firewall will hit the rear of the engine block/valve cover. I had the bottom of my tub rhinolined which might have made the clearance a bit tighter but I think your going to need more than a 2x4 lift for clearance. Think of wrestling an octopus while laying on your back -- and you have to thread a retaining bolt down its throat.. It can be done by yourself but a helping hand from a friend who doesn't have anything else for entertainment is a real plus.

not fun at all, did the complete tub off frame do to a totaled frame and front clip. left the tank on one tub, then unbolted the gas from the other tub and lifted the body with tank laying on the crossmember. Biggest, weirdest shape slapped in a most unusual spot. I do almost think i like them better then the earlier just for the space under them, maybe i just havent worked on my 75 enough yet.

Could something normal fit in that spot? squareish off to one side? just curious?

I just did this on my '80 Fj40 by myself. Man it was a pain, but I used Rick_D's suggestions and it definitely made it easier. cranking the body up allows you to have more clearance to fit the lip up and over the frame. Save the filler neck rubber hose... I have heard those are tough to come by. Remember to disconnect the sender before you do it.

Definitely possible to do by yourself with the tub on, but would be much easier and less time consuming if you waited.

Chaka

If lifting up the rear of the tub is the only way, then I guess that's how the rusty tank is coming outta this '80.

My question for anyone who's tried this: Is it necessary to unbolt/remove the front clip, so the tub doesn't prang the ends of the fender fillers?

Any input would be appreciated!

It's a pain in the butt to remove and a bigger pain to reinstall. But since you are removing the tub it should not be a big deal like mention above. But incase you do decide to remove it before the tub....you can do this: Jack up the the rear enough to get the rear tires to start come off the ground. I used 10 ton stands to keep it stable and placed them on the frame and removed it that way.

Last edited:
I'm not removing the tub or crossmember tube. I'm planning on jacking up just the rear of the tub by 4", letting it pivot on the front body mounts, as rick_d suggested.

What I am wondering is if there is enough flex in the front clip to allow this to happen, or if pivoting the rear of the tub upward will damage the front fenders/filler panel/hood?

I'm sorry I was referring to the original thread. I did it this way because you get that extra slack need in order to remove/install the gas tank. I also sprayed the 3m stuff that looks like tar on the gas tank after cleaning it.

FJ40Jim said:
I'm not removing the tub or crossmember tube. I'm planning on jacking up just the rear of the tub by 4", letting it pivot on the front body mounts, as rick_d suggested.

What I am wondering is if there is enough flex in the front clip to allow this to happen, or if pivoting the rear of the tub upward will damage the front fenders/filler panel/hood?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom