How to remove a hazard switch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do I disconnect the hazard switch connector? I am fairly certain that some/most of my hazard and turn signal problems are coming from issues inside my hazard switch and I'd like to pull it to clean it up. It looks like there are two little prongs on each side that I have to push down at the same time while pulling apart on the connector to get it apart. But the prongs are too small for my fingers to push on, so I need about five hands to hold the connector, pull on each end, and use a screwdriver or similar device to push on the little prongs. This is on a '77 FJ40. Help? Any tips/tricks do doing this? Mine won't budge.

Do you have it free of the dash yet?

How do I disconnect the hazard switch connector? I am fairly certain that some/most of my hazard and turn signal problems are coming from issues inside my hazard switch and I'd like to pull it to clean it up. It looks like there are two little prongs on each side that I have to push down at the same time while pulling apart on the connector to get it apart. But the prongs are too small for my fingers to push on, so I need about five hands to hold the connector, pull on each end, and use a screwdriver or similar device to push on the little prongs. This is on a '77 FJ40. Help? Any tips/tricks do doing this? Mine won't budge.

Take a small screwdriver and push the prong in and back a little bit. Do the same on the other side. Now you can pull the connectors free.

Rudi :steer:

I have it sticking out of the ashtray hole. When I push on the prongs they don't seem to move. I'll try again but they're getting a little buggered by the screwdriver. Didn't know if there was a better way.

Sorry, I'm no help with a tip/trick. From my experience, be as gentle as you can, but also be realistic about the age of the plastic and its brittleness. I had most of a windshield wiper connector disintegrate (not break) in my fingers when I attempted to separate. :doh:

I just reassembled my FJ40 dash and went through this several time. The 'pry one side, and then pry the other side' approach works best. Get excellent lighting, so you can see the gaps that open up, and then put your tiniest screwdriver in the gaps and pry the connector apart. Disconnect the battery, in case you short across a pin. You may snap off some of the retainer pins, but there is so much friction in the spade connectors, that it's highly unlikely anything will vibrate loose.

Finally got it. Had to put some gloves on to get a better grip, and use a pair of pliers, holding at the jaws and straddling the ears with the handles, to rock it back and forth until it came out. Time to see if it's causing my electrical issues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom