How to remove 2004 LX Radio / Head Bezel & Trim? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
this seems crazy, but I’ve searched everywhere for some clear instructions on how to do this. My 2004 LC FSM only seems to cover the non-nav stereo. The video I found on YouTube already has the wood bezel popped which skips the 1st step that I don’t have. Written instructions state to stick a hook tool in the corner & pull it out. The trim is so tight, there’s really no room to stick a tool in without risking damage.

Does anyone have clear instructions, a video, a link or the pages from the 2004 LX FSM they could share?

It’s easiest if you remove these smaller panels on each side of the bezel first

EFC5A046-01E7-4029-A693-7F657364018F.jpeg

Then place your fingers on the inside edge of the bezel and gently pull straight back. You’ll feel the clips slide out of their retainers and the bezel will pop out about a quarter inch.

0F85503D-47C4-482E-930C-E4188724B836.jpeg

Slowly work your way around and be careful not to let it hang or pull on any wires. I like to take a pic before I disconnect anything so I have a reference of which connector goes where when it’s time to go back together. I know those pics aren’t of an ‘04 LX but the dashes are similar so the removal process shouldn’t vary too much.

A66775A1-D314-4E51-B589-D0D8CD926B9E.jpeg
Thanks for the help so far. It seems that both of the consoles are different then mine though. Here’s a picture. I don’t know if I just pull the vents, then the main wood piece or not. The trim seems too tight to get a tool in the side.

Remove the wood trim first. Use a trim tool to pry it out. There are electrical connectors on the back of it so dont yank it off too hard. Then the vents will come out as the wood holds the bottoms of the vents in place. Then there are 4 screws to release the head unit.

I started in the upper corners for the wood trim. A trim tool or small flatblade covered in tape will do the trick.

I removed mine seconds after buying it to install my USASpec BT45-TOY bluetooth unit for my 1000 mile drive home lol

View attachment 1659336 Thanks for the help so far. It seems that both of the consoles are different then mine though. Here’s a picture. I don’t know if I just pull the vents, then the main wood piece or not. The trim seems too tight to get a tool in the side.

Ok, thanks. I just didn’t want to start prying without knowing which to do first. The car is just too nice to start tearing into like my old 4Runner. Good call on the Bluetooth, I’m just about to jump off a cliff listening to regular radio. I’m thinking the VAIS Bluetooth & Sat Radio.

Ok, thanks. I just didn’t want to start prying without knowing which to do first. The car is just too nice to start tearing into like my old 4Runner. Good call on the Bluetooth, I’m just about to jump off a cliff listening to regular radio. I’m thinking the VAIS Bluetooth & Sat Radio.

BT is a must. i like the USASpec because I can use steering wheel controls for changing the song and it lists song title/artist on the nav screen even with Spotify. Also it can be used to answer and end calls with the seek buttons on the steering wheel.

Yeah, I’m reconsidering the SAT radio now as I don’t want to cough up $15 per month for it. Not sure if it’s worth it.

It’s easiest if you remove these smaller panels on each side of the bezel first

View attachment 1653640

Then place your fingers on the inside edge of the bezel and gently pull straight back. You’ll feel the clips slide out of their retainers and the bezel will pop out about a quarter inch.

View attachment 1653641

Slowly work your way around and be careful not to let it hang or pull on any wires. I like to take a pic before I disconnect anything so I have a reference of which connector goes where when it’s time to go back together. I know those pics aren’t of an ‘04 LX but the dashes are similar so the removal process shouldn’t vary too much.
What's that clip you have on the side panel? My LX used to have a phone mount there, but it is gone now and there is just a small hole. I'm looking for something useful to cover it up with.

What's that clip you have on the side panel? My LX used to have a phone mount there, but it is gone now and there is just a small hole. I'm looking for something useful to cover it up with.
The is the mic hanger for my Midland 75-822 CB radio. You can barely see at the bottom of that second pic the SO-239 coax panel mount connector right next to the 12V outlet. That was an idea given to me by @Jay470 so that both the power and the mic cables are right next to each other. Works great. More pics about that here: DIY: CB Radio Install; Lots of Pics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom