How to read the 2nd odometer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This in on my buddies 76 fj40 that he is going to be selling, he thinks the milage is 56,000 original, so I sudjested he open up the odo on the firewall(its some kinda emmission counter) I remember taking the # and dividing by 4 or 5. Prolbem is we don't know at which angle you read the odo at, from the top or the side. He bypassed the counter with a new cable at about 50k(on the dash odo) So if you read the 2nd odo from the side(243337) and divide by 5 you get 48,000......which would be correct.

Anyone got any thoughts?
49075768.jpg

49075773.jpg

[quote author=Romer link=board=1;threadid=13572;start=msg125804#msg125804 date=1080067169]
Would my 77 FJ40 have one?
[/quote]

Nope....from what I have heard only certain '75 modles had them. Since pimp says it is a '76, maybe it was in early '76's too...What is the production date on his cruiser pimp?

My '75 has one, but I have not cracked it open. I also, have never bypassed it, so I guess I could take a look and try and solve this mystery.

you can really learn some interesting s*** if you hang out here enuf..

OOh, I wanna take my 75 apart now. Oh wait, it isn't put together. Ok, so I will take that part a-part. No, I will wait till you guys figure this out.

Pimp,

How difficult is that little odo to take apart and not screw up? I don't want to mess it up while solving this mystery.

Must not be too hard, I just told my friend to take it apart and check it, he did ;) the little knob on top is where you start I think. Can't be to hard, but I have not takin one apart myself.

John H

[quote author=xumFJ40 link=board=1;threadid=13572;start=msg126326#msg126326 date=1080142268]
Pimp,

How difficult is that little odo to take apart and not screw up? I don't want to mess it up while solving this mystery.
[/quote]

Ok...I think I have good and bad(at least for me) news.

I took the 2nd Odo apart while still in the truck. First off, you can not read the 2nd odo from the side while it is still in the truck. The side would face the firewall.

Also, the basic math I did makes more sence w/the top number.

My primary odo reads: 86729.4

My secondary odo(from the top) reads: 732894

If you wanted to read if from the side it would read: 954016...which doesn't work.

From what I can tell devided by 4 would make it: 183223.5 :(

So I guess that adds 100K to what I was hoping my mileage was. Oh well the body still is in great condition ;)

Hope this helps.

Pimp,

I think that I am about as good as you w/math. Based on Brett's last post, it sounds like he is saying that you are SOL if the truck has over 50K. But couldn't you assume that the egr odo had just rolled once? It doesn't make sence that it would have no corolation after 50K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom