how to price a restored 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Noda... I want to tow a camper... they said no way my truck can handle 7k, I think they are rated for 5k only, right?

NS80, if you want to see a serious 40th resto check out Citidals.

Actually that is restored. I restore and collect 68-70 Mopar Cars. All mine are restored to OE standards which includes: media blasted body to bare metal, every part either original and restored or obtained from a same year- model donor car, factory paint markings, paperwork, etc.....
There are many 68-70 muscle cars that are "resto- modded" and I would absolutely consider many of those full blown restorations. Many of which have $70k plus in the restoration work.

If you told those guys that because their 1970 Dodge Challenger RT worth $100k wasn't a restoration because it had a 2014 Viper engine, you would likely not get a good reaction.

If the car is torn apart, any rust or damage repaired, body and paint work done, interior redone, engine rebuilt or replaced, rubbers replaces, all mechanicals rebuilt or brought back to 100% working order.... that's pretty much a restoration.

To each their own. I know my 71 Chevelle SS with matching numbers, all original, brought more money than a restoration with a LS6 could ever hope to bring.

Especially when you put a different manufacturers motor in it. But to each their own.

Her 40th is nice. It'll sell. Put it on eBay and let somebody buy it. Isn't there a guy in Florida that just "restored" a 40th? I read his thread...

Doesn't sound "restored" to me it sounds re-freshed. I would say you are looking at $6-10k depending on location and condition of chassis/body and mechanicals. Good nice seats is always a bonus but a seat re-fresh kit is only $1-1.5k. Fresh paint on hood, that is a couple of hundred bucks. It got a cut & polish, that is worth nothing really other than making it nice and presentable. New rad, that is good and I am sure worth $200-500. Overall condition is what will get you the most $$$$. A lot of Cruiserheads are smart enough to know what to look for on a truck and what these things all cost. So things like leaky knuckles, wiring issues or leaky windshield are the kinds of things people in the know will look for.

Cheers

To each their own. I know my 71 Chevelle SS with matching numbers, all original, brought more money than a restoration with a LS6 could ever hope to bring.

Especially when you put a different manufacturers motor in it. But to each their own.

Her 40th is nice. It'll sell. Put it on eBay and let somebody buy it. Isn't there a guy in Florida that just "restored" a 40th? I read his thread...

Hey just FYI.....

I was offered $18k for a 1991 80 with an old 5.7L vortec, 4L60e trans, FJ60 split case, locked FZJ axles, bumpers, winch, lights and few other goodies. I turned the offer down. Pretty hard to get the high $$$ on an stock 80 unless it is a time capsule or is really "restored". Most 80's done right with a v8 or diesel are starting at $12k and go way up over $40k depending on how it was done, what drivetrain used, ect ect.

I agree with you about muscle cars but Cruisers, in particular 80-series are not muscle cars and never will be.

Cheers

That truck in that video is off the charts! Gorgeous... So if I add a supercharger for more power, that can increase tow ability? I need to tow in the 7500 to 8K range... I think the 80s are rated for 5K and I cannot even imagine that... I had it loaded with a cargo tray behind and 6 people with a roof rack and it was feeling it with a low back end...

Here is nearly 5,000lbs. With a 1997 Chevy 5.7L v8 it towed this over the Rocky Mnts. no probs at all. This was with old worn out OME coils. You want to tow, get Slee HDP coils, they are for this kind of use.

towing.JPG

Cheers

Hey just FYI.....

I was offered $18k for a 1991 80 with an old 5.7L vortec, 4L60e trans, FJ60 split case, locked FZJ axles, bumpers, winch, lights and few other goodies. I turned the offer down. Pretty hard to get the high $$$ on an stock 80 unless it is a time capsule or is really "restored". Most 80's done right with a v8 or diesel are starting at $12k and go way up over $40k depending on how it was done, what drivetrain used, ect ect.

I agree with you about muscle cars but Cruisers, in particular 80-series are not muscle cars and never will be.

Cheers

What you don't mention is that whatever price they go for is half of what they have in it unless it is done absolutely perfectly. Even then it is rarely a money maker.

What you don't mention is that whatever price they go for is half of what they have in it unless it is done absolutely perfectly. Even then it is rarely a money maker.

Well, ok I will add, I didn't sell my 80 for $18k because I had more in it than that plus it would have cost me more than that to replace it. I also agree that most people are not making money on 80's. I know one guy who makes some $$$ flipping Cruisers but he doesn't really use them or keep them long and he certainly doesn't build them. So he is just a flipper, most of us on the forum are not into Cruisers to flip and make $$$.

Cheers

I actually restored my 40th and would bet it is the nicest 40th on the planet at this point. Search for- "40th Anniversary Total Restoration".
I didn't put the money into that I would one of my matching numbers six pack cars but I restored it the right way and at a level pretty rare for a 80 Series cruiser.
Almost everything replaceable was replaced with new Toyota parts. Full service history for over 10 years and nothing was done half way on it.
Her truck isn't near what mine is but it still looks like a nice clean ride worthly of a new home assuming a deep inspection supports that.

Well, ok I will add, I didn't sell my 80 for $18k because I had more in it than that plus it would have cost me more than that to replace it. I also agree that most people are not making money on 80's. I know one guy who makes some $$$ flipping Cruisers but he doesn't really use them or keep them long and he certainly doesn't build them. So he is just a flipper, most of us on the forum are not into Cruisers to flip and make $$$.

Cheers

Super super super hard to make money selling a car you restored... You restore it cause you love it. Anything else and you may end up disappointed...

Also don't be too quick to discount the future value potential of the 80 series. Have you checked out what is happening to the 70's and 80's full size bronco prices?
Once again, I wouldn't do a restoration with the dreams of making money but a nice super clean unmolested low miles 80 will be worth some money in the not to distant future...

I actually restored my 40th and would bet it is the nicest 40th on the planet at this point. Search for- "40th Anniversary Total Restoration".
I didn't put the money into that I would one of my matching numbers six pack cars but I restored it the right way and at a level pretty rare for a 80 Series cruiser.
Almost everything replaceable was replaced with new Toyota parts. Full service history for over 10 years and nothing was done half way on it.
Her truck isn't near what mine is but it still looks like a nice clean ride worthly of a new home assuming a deep inspection supports that.

Yes, yours was the restoration that I was speaking of. Aside from the lift and bumpers pretty much everything with yours was a restoration.

Very well done. Enjoy it for the rest of your life!

Super super super hard to make money selling a car you restored... You restore it cause you love it. Anything else and you may end up disappointed...

Also don't be too quick to discount the future value potential of the 80 series. Have you checked out what is happening to the 70's and 80's full size bronco prices?
Once again, I wouldn't do a restoration with the dreams of making money but a nice super clean unmolested low miles 80 will be worth some money in the not to distant future...

I love 80s as more than anyone else but this hype that people say they will be incredibly valuable classics just doesn't fly with me. The 70s are rare to the US and are quirky/weird looking (I owned one, I remember all of the looks and questions). The 40s are in a class by themselves. Iconic styling and rare.

80s are incredible machines but they look like a 4Runner's bigger brother. They are the beginning of modern Toyota. Boring, simple, functional, reliable. It is the last of the true utilitarian vehicles (IMHO the 92 was the end) before all the silly leather, navigation, heated seats, cup holders and other crap that soccer moms want in a sport utility.

I love 80s as more than anyone else but this hype that people say they will be incredibly valuable classics just doesn't fly with me. The 70s are rare to the US and are quirky/weird looking (I owned one, I remember all of the looks and questions). The 40s are in a class by themselves. Iconic styling and rare.

80s are incredible machines but they look like a 4Runner's bigger brother. They are the beginning of modern Toyota. Boring, simple, functional, reliable. It is the last of the true utilitarian vehicles (IMHO the 92 was the end) before all the silly leather, navigation, heated seats, cup holders and other crap that soccer moms want in a sport utility.

I think the truth is somewhere in-between - You're right that the 40 is in a cult status all its' own, but flipping through any auto sales rag or site & a 80 sticks out.

A cruiser with records has absolutely bottomed out for pricing some time ago, and now we're in that wheat / chaff period where the ones worth their ask are becoming a static value rig, and the overworked/underserviced ones are easier to spot.

I think you're close to right about the 3FE's as nearly the last 'true LC' - but in spite of leather & cupholders, the 1FZ's are still SA up front - so in my mind the '93-97 are still true Pigs, just dressed in the proverbial lipstick. Real with some frosting, but still the solid bones.

As for any 80 going to auctions & being worth over original MSRP (some ~$55k by '97, right?) - I just don't see it like old 40's / Broncos. Whoever says otherwise I'll just have to take their word, I'm no auction baron.

Somehow this thread morphed into restorations and didn't answer the question.
Attempting to get back into "what an 80 can tow".... my wife tows a horse trailer (plus horse) with my '95 (trailer brakes recently added) with no problems. But not through the mountains. Again, I think the issue is: Are you climbing the Rockies at 80 mph with it? If yes, get a Ford Super Duty. If no, then you will probably be OK as these trucks are tough. I would add a transmission temperature gauge and go with it. And a Scangauge 2 to get an accurate reading of the coolant temp. Keep the temps under control as high temp kills the tranny. Ned

Somehow this thread morphed into restorations and didn't answer the question.
Attempting to get back into "what an 80 can tow".... my wife tows a horse trailer (plus horse) with my '95 (trailer brakes recently added) with no problems. But not through the mountains. Again, I think the issue is: Are you climbing the Rockies at 80 mph with it? If yes, get a Ford Super Duty. If no, then you will probably be OK as these trucks are tough. I would add a transmission temperature gauge and go with it. And a Scangauge 2 to get an accurate reading of the coolant temp. Keep the temps under control as high temp kills the tranny. Ned

Seeing as how the title of the thread is "How to price a restored 80" I think that would explain how the thread morphed in to a thread about restorations...

Just my .02$ If you need to tow get the right tow rig. towing 7000 to 8000 lb. with a 80 is not going to be safe. and god fobbed if you get in a accident the lawyers are going to have a field day when find out you were tow 2to3k over oem tow rating. If you research towing, safe towing is up to 80% oem tow rating.

my 40th with about the same mileage in very good condition , with a lot of mechanical work done to it with no lockers sold on Ebay a couple of months ago for $11,700 to someone in Georgia, right after the auction 2 guys emailed that bed and offered the same amount and $12k if the other guy backed out , i know the mechanical work i had done had a lot to do with it but also how it was presented. the first time i posted on ebay i just had iphone photos outside my garage , i didn't even get close to the reserve , then we detailed the car and did the photos (with a nice camera) in a cool location in the neighborhood and it sold . i showed all the flaws and took frame photos also .
don't post it on Mud for sale no one here wants you to make a dime , as much help as this forum has been to me they are opposed at anyone getting back more than half of their investment . good luck with your sale

I bet you would get more assistance if you posted pictures of the truck and of yourself...maybe some poser shots like @alohajen..I kid, I kid...no really.

These things in good shape go from 6-7k and up depending on rust. If it's rust free, you could probably get more if it's in the condition you say it is. Where are you located?
:censor:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom