how to price a restored 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Restored... point taken... I just know that it is way better than when I bought it as for the body, engine and interior... so I see your point on that. It is original, no rust. Spent a lot so it felt like I redid the whole thing! But it did not require a complete restore like you can see on some of the sites and YouTube. So I am sure I am in way too deep to sell it... thanks for the info.

Nah. This one just sold for $80K. If yours is this nice it will too. It's difficult to judge what the market will bear these days.

How to price a restored anything?

I met a guy recently who was driving an exquisitely restored mid 80's GMC Suburban. Had a crate engine under the hood with 7000 miles on it. It was in pretty much showroom condition.

He said he'd bought it for $7k. From a guy who bought it for $11k and hardly drove it for 3 years, and bought it from the guy who had had it restored, and who refused to say how much the restoration had cost - just that his health wasn't allowing him to enjoy it.

Cars are almost always sold at a loss.

How to price a restored anything?

I met a guy recently who was driving an exquisitely restored mid 80's GMC Suburban. Had a crate engine under the hood with 7000 miles on it. It was in pretty much showroom condition.

He said he'd bought it for $7k. From a guy who bought it for $11k and hardly drove it for 3 years, and bought it from the guy who had had it restored, and who refused to say how much the restoration had cost - just that his health wasn't allowing him to enjoy it.

Cars are almost always sold at a loss.

Truth

Thank you, guys... I just wanted to go to who knows these trucks... I promise I was not playing slick on the ad thing.... I just wanted some advice. I have looked online for them all over the country and I don't see them redone like this one so that is why I asked. I will get some pics of her soon. I had her out on a camping trip and she needs a bath. As for the maintenance records I have none... so that stinks. I took it to a mechanic and they combed it from bumper to bumper looking for my money and came up with the radiator replacement... I changed all the fluids and all the hoses and the gasket up top. I specifically asked him to check the knuckles and the front end for what it needed and he said he has never seen one that old look that good. No leaks or squeaks. I don't work on them myself. I am a girl who knows where the mechanic is... But I love that truck. Thank you all so much for your help...

Sounds like you recently bought it?

You must have some idea of the market then. Painting the hood and re-doing the seats aren't going to affect value much.

No maintenance records are going to hurt a lot.

As has been said $6-$8k for clean, higher mileage trucks is about right. If the cosmetics on yours are perfect and you are willing to wait $9k or so.

What are you towing? Maybe you could add a supercharger for some more power.

That truck in that video is off the charts! Gorgeous... So if I add a supercharger for more power, that can increase tow ability? I need to tow in the 7500 to 8K range... I think the 80s are rated for 5K and I cannot even imagine that... I had it loaded with a cargo tray behind and 6 people with a roof rack and it was feeling it with a low back end...

Nah. This one just sold for $80K. If yours is this nice it will too. It's difficult to judge what the market will bear these days.

That vehicle isn't "restored". It has a Chevy motor. That isn't restored.

I have this argument with my dad all the time. "Restomod" is a category of restoration. Sure, the purists throw fits over these types of builds, but they sure do pull the $$$ at auction and are fun to drive!

So if I add a supercharger for more power, that can increase tow ability? I need to tow in the 7500 to 8K range... I think the 80s are rated for 5K and I cannot even imagine that... I had it loaded with a cargo tray behind and 6 people with a roof rack and it was feeling it with a low back end...

I don't think a SC will compensate for an 8k trailer and a full load.

Sounds like a 3/4 ton Suburban/truck is in your future.

I have this argument with my dad all the time. "Restomod" is a category of restoration. Sure, the purists throw fits over these types of builds, but they sure do pull the $$$ at auction and are fun to drive!

There's a butt for every seat. A sucker born every minute. And people with more money than sense.

As you can tell by my screen name I put a LS1 in an FJ40. It was fun. I sold it after putting 300 miles on it. It was no longer a Toyota. But I'm a purist.

What are you towing, a horse trailer or something like that? 6 people plus a roof rack and rack on the back is a load for certain. I just installed a trailer brake on mine (311,000 plus miles, 13 years ownership)(no lockers) so that my wife can tow a horse trailer. If cared for these things are almost indestructible, so personally I wouldn't rush to sell it. If I were you then I MIGHT consider a load distributing hitch for it, and trailer brakes (for certain the brakes). Unless you're climbing the Alps, they can pull. Just don't carry all of those people and all the rest of the junk at the same time. Watch the transmission heat though, that will kill the tranny.
Just my $.02.
Ned

20160105_143604_resized.jpg 20160105_143704_resized.jpg 20160105_143818_resized.jpg 20160105_143920_resized.jpg 20160105_150336_resized.jpg

It looks nice. Here is a comparable '80 for sale, $15,975. Used Toyota Land Cruiser For Sale - CarGurus

Personally, if the mechanical part of the truck has been gone through (new axle seals, hoses, belts, head gasket, bearings, brakes, no leaks, etc), $15K is reasonable. If it is exceptionally well maintained you might be knocking on the door of $20K in the right market. Almost everyone on this board will disagree with me, but watch what these are selling for. Just like the 40 market, nice unmolested examples are hard to come by.

Nice truck. Someone will pay out the nose for it. And it's probably worth it.

nice truck. My bet is $15k-$17K. Not many 40th that are that clean out there. The right buyer who wants a clean 40th will pay that. Not many trucks on this site are that clean. This assumes the truck can past a thorough inspection and isnt a pig with lipstick however the fact that the carpet and floor mats look that nice tells me someone took car of the car.
No service records will hurt though as will no lockers..

Thank you... I worked hard to make her pretty again. Here are some undercarriage pics and another of the engine someone asked me for. The oil under there is from oil change today and they were messy.
. 20160105_155242_resized.jpg 20160105_155310_resized.jpg 20160105_155325_resized.jpg 20160105_155352_resized.jpg 20160105_155415_resized.jpg

Actually that is restored. I restore and collect 68-70 Mopar Cars. All mine are restored to OE standards which includes: media blasted body to bare metal, every part either original and restored or obtained from a same year- model donor car, factory paint markings, paperwork, etc.....
There are many 68-70 muscle cars that are "resto- modded" and I would absolutely consider many of those full blown restorations. Many of which have $70k plus in the restoration work.

If you told those guys that because their 1970 Dodge Challenger RT worth $100k wasn't a restoration because it had a 2014 Viper engine, you would likely not get a good reaction.

If the car is torn apart, any rust or damage repaired, body and paint work done, interior redone, engine rebuilt or replaced, rubbers replaces, all mechanicals rebuilt or brought back to 100% working order.... that's pretty much a restoration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom