How to measure for driveshaft lengthening and shortening? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decided I'll probably just have my fj62 driveshafts re-made (lengthened/shortened) for my h55F conversion.

What measurements will the drive line shop need? For the long/extended measurement, I would guess measuring flange to flange with the truck jacked up and the axles hanging free with wheels on. What about the short/compressed measurement without being able to compress the suspension?

Yo brother! This is a good thread. I asked the same question. @Paul DiNapoli pretty well explained it.

Hmm not sure how I missed that one, but good info thanks.
I had some late FJ60 driveshafts sourced in hand but never followed up with the guy, kinda feel like a jackass asking about them again.
Anyway, my current 62 shafts are in known condition (ie, good solid) and replaced the rear u joints w/OEM not that many miles ago. Also have a drive line shop recommended by a Mud’r.
Kinda liking this plan more anyway....no extra d shafts to store and trip over in the garage.

I’m sure the shop knows what to do with some basic measurements. Important thing to me anyway is to jack it up by the frame and let the axles hang WITH the weight of the wheels on. Then let it settle on level ground at normal rest and remeasure flange distance.
No way to compress the suspension really other than loading a sh!t ton of weight in it.

And you know, after I did those measurements they came out to a hair under and over what the original FJ60 shafts were. My driveshafts are out now too getting resized. You know, hurry up and wait.

Flange type which we all have measure center of flange to center of flange with normal weight, your shaft shop should do the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom