How To Make The Best FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would also add that you need to attend some TLCA events and see what type rigs others have and take notes about what you would like in a rig. You can save yourself a lot of money and time by talking to others and seeing what works and what doesn't. Just my .02. Good luck!

Later,

I'll sell you my stock 81 for $50K
81FJ40 028.jpg

Most everyone who has done a frame off restoration would say it is not worth what you have into it. That being said, If you have done the work yourself then you enjoyed it so much that you would never sell you baby. It is somewhat like love/hate. You love it but it is expensive and takes 2 to 3 times the amount of time you thought it would take. Frame off is min $20,000 and 1000 hours. Not counting the time on Ih8mud reading threads.

What is your level of mechanical skill?
- This is my first major automotive project so to be truthful. I know it is a large chunk to bit off for a first time project. I also was going to use this project as a way to pick up some skills. I am however not going into project unprepared tool wise. During the restore this vehicle will be in a heated garage:) done plenty of projects in the cold and its not fun. I have access to 2 huge variety of automotive tools. Cutting out parts and welding in new pieces is not a problem

thats where i am at right now, i have mechanical ability on motorcycles, and can do basics on a vehicle, but this is my first complete build. right now my frames on a trailer like i said earlier. it will be alot but so far its been fun. so far i have only needed basic tools to completely strip the vehicle down to nothing, except for 1 body mount bolt and pulling the flywheel i had to use a impact wrench, other than that it has been basic tools. if your wanting to learn how to build a vehicle, then buy a farely rust free vehicle and strip it down and start the build. i have about $1200 in body panels i have to get which sucks, but its just one more thing im gonna learn so im being optimistic :D and i dont see why you cant easily keep it under 15k to rebuild it, it just depends on the condition of vehicle you buy, if you buy OEM or aftermarket replacement pieces, etc. if you just want a good condition 40, you can easily buy a good condition cheaper than 15k and that will leave money for upgrades and repairs

good luck

project or buy

First thing think hard about what you want

Do you want a project or do you think you can restore it cheaper than you can buy one built or restored?

If you want a project press on but don't think it will be cheap, quick, or easy. Plan on 10k and a year to 18mos

On the other hand doing up a 40 is a lot easier than some vehicles since the body comes off so easy and the vehicle is so basic

At the end of the build you have learned a lot about your vehicle and you know its protected instead of wondering how long till the rust takes over;)

HI,

All these guys have given some great tips! I'll add in some and hope it's not too rhetorical.

I would support the get the best rig for the money line as it will get you something you can drive and get to know. You will get a feel for what you want to tweak. I'd get lots of advice from this forum about looking at the rig or posting pics and discussing price and pro's and con's. There are some sharp eyed folks who can looks at your pics and give some excellent feedback!

If you're going to get something that you will mod immediately, you should try to figure out how long it should take at a minimum and max. Also getting a good idea on a budget will help you out too. I think you learn about your self because doing all the work is a very long and tedious process. A lot depends on your family and job situation and your other interests. Someone should start a thread on what personal attributes makes for a successful build up.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this, but listing your needs for the truck will also help you out. If you're hauling a lot of stuff, you may need to add on some bumper storage or a roof rack. If you're going from really low elevation to high (alamogordo to cloudcroft) you may want a efi-- not sure about this as i'm in the lowlands. ;) If you're waay out in nowhere, a dual battery with a winch is nice.

I think a late model 40 is nice, but you always worry about rust and hidden rust. I'm always looking at my '79 pig and wondering if there's a rust bubble starting somewhere. The earlier trucks are more resilient to rust and maybe worth looking at. After they all got the 4 speed, they drive about the same. Power steering is a big plus but you can do an add on for any of them. It's amazing to see the smaller amount of rust on a older rig that's been in a field vs a newer one that's been in someone's driveway in the weather.

I got a 1970 fj40 this summer and am slowly bringing back to street worthy. It needed new brakes, seats, seat belts, fluid changes, turn lights redone, and a new parking brake. I think it's about got what it needs for a grocery getter. It still needs loads of work, but i plan to drive it a bit and add some more this summer.

Good luck with what you get!!!

Best regards, ty

Paint can be anywhere from $1,00 to $10,000 depending on what you want. This is a big expense that can vary from owner to owner. It just depends. Me, I spend the big $$$ and will have a rig that wont need paint for another 40 years.

Just an update to those who ever use search.

I ended up with a 77 FJ40 that was pretty much stock. I put a OME 2.5" lift on it and having been fixing items as they come up. I just finalized up my orders for FJ60 power steering. It is by no means hard and seems to be a pretty simply swap in once all is figured out. I also have FJ62 knuckles going on right before because I wanted larger brakes. Rear disc will happen around the same time. I will be upgrading to a FJ62 booster and a FZJ80 master. After that I will drop in the 1HZ that is sitting in my garage. :D

I started off not knowing how to drive a standard or knowing what points are, but after some time any job seems possible.

if its going to be kept at your cabin whats wrong with a mostly stock fj40.?add 33s and a winch and maybey a rear locker and call it good.a stock cruiser with a few mods will last a long time and go most places you want it to go.but its your truck you have to decide what works for you.the options are mind boggling and can be discussed for a lifetime.

the best thing you can do is just buy one that is already done..... you will spend the same amount of money.

True, but I wanted to build it myself and learn from the entire process.

if its going to be kept at your cabin whats wrong with a mostly stock fj40.?add 33s and a winch and maybey a rear locker and call it good.a stock cruiser with a few mods will last a long time and go most places you want it to go.but its your truck you have to decide what works for you.the options are mind boggling and can be discussed for a lifetime.

It will not live at the cabin, but the car I take up there. The vehicle is also my daily driver right now, so thats why it got the 1HZ, I thought about rebuilding my 2F but then the 1HZ came up for sale. One more thing me to learn.

make sure you got the funds. if i woulda known how quickly i was going to be spending money i definitely would have bought a rig in much better condition. im at about 6k right now and the frame is on a trailer right now. i was shocked when i added all this up the other day. and off the top of my head i easily have another 6k in needs/wants to do to it before i can drive it for the first time. i am basically doing a ground up re-build so i know for sure my rig won't break down or have any problems with it once its done. atleast for a while.

qouted for stupidity. i'm now a firm believer of quadruple rule, the double rule didn't quite cut it :lol:

So....did the 1HZ ever get put in this FJ40??

If so, what type of fuel efficiency are you getting out of it as a DD??

Post up updates please if the truck is still alive.

Best-

Last edited:
So....did the 1HZ ever get put in this FJ40??

If so, what type of fuel efficiency are you getting out of it as a DD??

Post up updates please if the truck is still alive.

Best-

It's not done yet. Check in the Diesel Section - "Another 1HZ into a '77 FJ40" and under the High Desert Cruisers clubhouse forum - "Putting the Mojo back in Bad Mojo"

As someone that is on his SECOND build this year, buy one in the BEST condition you can for your budget, then plan on spending that same amount at least o finish it off. I passed on Matt's BJ42 at 19K with everything I wanted. He had already spent 30K fixing it up. I will have 30K in mine when I'm done, and thought I could do it for less than 19K...not complaining mind you..I am having fun tracking down parts and arguing with friends here about what direction to go etc, but I coulda saved myself a year and a TON of money.

Good luck and have fun!

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom