How to make blinkers blink? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Im working on the electrical part of my 1972 gas to diesel conversion 40. I ordered 4" round LED red lights and I have mounted them as tail lights. Someone mentioned that blinkers wouldn't blink until I put an electronic flasher. I found a cheap electronic one, but they still dont blink. I have to add another bulb for them to work properly. (I understand there is not enough draw on them) now my question is the following: Is there a way I could put some kind of resistor or any inexpensive device to draw power and activate the flasher?

It will probably be very hard for me to just go and look for another electronic flasher since I dont live in the US and most people here use bi-metal type ones.

I do have access to the junk yard though, any recommendations?

regards,

gustavo

You need an electronic flasher that is rated for high impedance devices, like LEDs. The easy fix would be to put a bulb in parallel across the LEDs. A 20 ohm, 5 watt resistor should work too, but might be more expensive.

Thanks for the info,

Could you explain what you mean with a bulb in parallel across the leds?

thanks again!

Parallel means that both devices that have two connections are connected head to head and tail to tail. This means that one set of leads goes to the hot wires and the other set goes to ground.

Series connection is head to tail.

Parallel:
+.......- LED
+.......- Bulb

Series:
+.......-+.......-

Todo claro?

As clear as it gets... thanks

also if you have a stock turn switch and american aftermarket blinkers/tail lights it wont work because toyota wired the brakelights thruogh the turn signals. by american i mean they have one wire for taillights and one brighter one for stoplights. you will either have to get a new turn switch or do like i did and put a seperate blinker in the back. in short, stock toyota had a seperate tun signal in the back so you have to do it that way or get an american switch.

Thank you drexx,

Very informative site!!

I think you are low on blinker fluid. Ask for it any any reputable autoparts store like Autostoned, Reverse Auto or O'Idontknowly. Look for the youngest, yesterday I was working the drive thru window/do you want to supersize it, sales drone and I'm sure he'll have heard of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom