How to make a FJ40 and BJ40 EMP proof?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There has been a lot of talk lately in the past week and months in the major news outlets and halls of government about the dangers and vulnerabilities of electronics to Electro Magnetic Pulses (EMP) either created from the detonation of a high altitude nuclear bomb explosion or a sun fart otherwise known as a solar flare.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ld-not-ready-for-massive-emp-caused-blackout/

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/12/opinion/gingrich-gathering-cyber-storm/index.html?iref=allsearch

http://time.com/93193/congress-hearing-solar-flares-electric-grid/

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/hearing-electric-grid-vulnerable-to-emp/

http://www.wnd.com/2014/05/expert-to-congress-emp-clear-and-present-danger/

http://newsfixnow.com/2014/05/09/congressman-mccaul-says-a-solar-flare-attack-would-be-catastrophic/

Since our Landcruisers are nearly EMP proof due to their almost entirely mechanical nature, it seems like it would be cheap and maybe wise to know how to make our vehicles EMP proof by installing stored spare parts in case Russia or another group attacks the United States in this manner. After all, if experts are telling congress this past week that the nation is vulnerable, why not have some spare electrical parts stored in a makeshift faraday cage ready just in case something happens. That way, you swap out the electrical/computerized part that was fried and now we are back on the road.

Guys, I'm not saying this is going to happen or is even likely to happen, I'm just saying it COULD happen. Its just like purchasing car insurance just in case, none of us plan on crashing our cruisers but it COULD happen, so we plan for it. So I think's it's pertinent to plan for this possibility as well. It's cheap to do, and has fringe benefits even if nothing ever happens just because you have spare parts. However, if it did happen, having one of the few running cars like the FJ40 which will run on all sorts of gasoline, avgas or propane fuels due to the lack of an ECM (or the BJ40 which will very easily run on Biofuels or vegetable/plant oils in a pinch) could be like winning the lottery.

I'd like to hear some of the guru's tell what Fj40 and Bj40 parts, (probably cheap ones)- that I and maybe we all should buy just in case. Like a spare voltage regulator ($18.99 AutoZone), older points style distributor ($50-$100 Junk Yard) and ..... Well, what else should we consider? It's not like these parts are all that expensive and it couldn't hurt just to have a spare anyway.

What about the stock alternator? I'm not aware of any sensitive electronics in them unless yours was upgraded to be internally regulated, I've kept the stock voltage regulator on mine.

Would the solenoid on the starter be vulnerable?

I'm driving an stock 77' FJ40 2F and '78 BJ40 w/ B diesel engine.

According to my research, an ungrounded metal trash can with a tight fitting lid would MOST LIKELY protect the sensitive electronics if there is a buffer between the metal and the parts such as a cardboard box. Then, if an EMP attack happened, just pull your spares out of the trash can and install them to restore proper functionality of the car afterwards.

For those of you who think this is stupid, I'm just a proponent of being prepared, and it is the Boy Scout Motto.

Last edited:
I jokingly looked into this while building my truck. Most stock fj40s are emp proof.

If you have an electronic distributor and ignition, carry a backup with points. Also carry a backup set of points anyway. A simple device like an oil filled coil wont be affected with the remote possibility that the pulse went off while running.

Keeping all the spare parts in a safe box is supposed to be recommended.

In Texas, you wont make it that far with all the fences and private property!

Where do you plan on driving to?

If this ever does happen about 90% of us will be dead in less than a year. We will be sent back to the 1860's and none of us are ready for that kind of subsistence lifestyle

Clutch start the bastard and wrap it in aluminium foil

I jokingly looked into this while building my truck. Most stock fj40s are emp proof.

If you have an electronic distributor and ignition, carry a backup with points. Also carry a backup set of points anyway. A simple device like an oil filled coil wont be affected with the remote possibility that the pulse went off while running.

Keeping all the spare parts in a safe box is supposed to be recommended.

In Texas, you wont make it that far with all the fences and private property!

Where do you plan on driving to?

So you don't think the voltage regulator for the alternator would be sensitive to an EMP? Where do I plan on driving to- To get all the stuff all will need to outlast all the futile minded. Who knows, maybe I'll start a Monroe Republic (for those of you who watched revolution) but either way the 40's are the only cars I own and drive and I'm sure at some point I'll want to drive rather than walk.

I worked at a funny shaped building near DC by a famous cemetery from 01'-02' and really important people were preparing for this back then.

Watrob-My BJ40 very very basic B engine can run on almost any plant oil due to its indirect injection, and the FJ40 will run on ethanol, propane (with the forklift kit installed), avgas, mogas, etc etc. I don't need electricity at a gas station to get plant oils in the BJ40 or make ethanol for the FJ40. I can drive up to any waste oil bin and scoop, pump, or siphon oil into the tank of the BJ40. Also it would even run on used automatic transmission fluid or motor oil that is decently filtered for at least a little while. I'm pretty sure I'll have all the used ATF I can burn from all of the non-running cars littering the streets. I can drain that into a container and pour it in my diesel tank in case you were wondering. I'll preclude your next question too, I'll filter by soaking the oils through a pair of blue jean pants legs into buckets. No, it's not perfect for the BJ40 however it will run on it for a long time...

So does anybody know of any parts of the Fj40/BJ40 that would need to be replaced after an EMP?

Last edited:
Well there were Russian bombers flying off the Pacific coast last week when LAX lost all air traffic control, and there has been no official explanation for it....:meh:

If your truck isn't running during an EMP, there will be no effect. If it is, it may stall but should start right back up again. Restarting it might prove pretty difficult now that you're dead…

It could happen, yes, but anything that produces an EMP strong enough to stall your car has probably already killed you and everyone you know, whether it's a bomb, solar flare or gamma ray burst (my personal favorite). Trying to prep for EMP is silliness.

If your truck isn't running during an EMP, there will be no effect. If it is, it may stall but should start right back up again. Restarting it might prove pretty difficult now that you're dead…

It could happen, yes, but anything that produces an EMP strong enough to stall your car has probably already killed you and everyone you know, whether it's a bomb, solar flare or gamma ray burst (my personal favorite). Trying to prep for EMP is silliness.

Running or not doesn't matter. I'm seeking people who know about what electronic components of the engines are vulnerable and you are off of the thread topic. You didn't read the articles I posted and EMP's don't kill people;) ....as the articles and others discuss, it is a nuclear weapon detonated 7-10 miles into the air that would produce an EMP strong enough to wipe out all complex electronics with microprocessors of any kind throughout more than half the continent. Unless you were in the blast radius high above the earth in a jet, your body wouldn't even notice it happen unless you saw the flash, but the EMP created disables complex, small, fragile electronics for thousands of miles. The nuclear warhead is less dangerous detonated at the surface than so high in the air as obviously everything is now run by computers, even your microwave, and without those devices there would obviously be some level of anarchy until these devices were fixed. Since the articles, experts, pentagon officials and the military are openly and publicly saying this is a major concern, I thought, why not spend a hundred bucks or less on spare parts just in case.

This happened in the early 1900's after a sun flare and disabled electronic telegraph wires in the U.S.

Last edited:
However unlikely an EMP may be, this is false unless you're specifically speaking of a nuclear detonation nearby. A high-altitude burst or solar flare would be (directly) harmless to humans, except those with pacemakers, etc.

A 77 FJ40 should be EMP-proof. It has points triggering a crude ignitor box. If the ignitor box is wiped out, there are instructions in the manual for how to bypass the ignitor and run it as a straight points/coil/condensor system.
The alternator has an old fashioned mechanical points regulator, so no problem there.
The gages on the dash are all crude bimetallic movements, so no problem there.
The emission computer under the dash could be damaged, but it has little effect on how the truck runs.

Don't know much about a 78 BJ40, but if it is similarly crude then it should also be fine.

Cruisers are the cockroaches of the automotive world: not highly evolved, not easy to kill.

Oh my god I almost got sucked into a nerd debate on IH8MUD! It almost happened, I almost took the bait! Damn you internet! I started writing and then had a "what the F am I doing?" moment. While we're at it, what do you guys think of JJ Abrams and Star Wars? Does it bother you that the new movies aren't going to follow the plot from the existing Star Wars universe?????? What if it sucks? What if a Z class solar flare hits us before we get to find out! Should we hope that it hits before the movies are done incase they suck? I'm so stressed out….

Ok…. breathe….. ok…. so…...

Back to Cruisers, if your 40 has points, that's about all you have to worry about. ;)

I think someone should create a solar flare emoticon, or maybe a mushroom cloud. OR MAYBE A NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON EMOTICON. That would be cool….

I think someone should create a solar flare emoticon, or maybe a mushroom cloud. OR MAYBE A NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON EMOTICON. That would be cool….

mushroomcloud.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom