How to know if wheel bearings need replacing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The spindle only holds the bearing inner race inline. It is not a bearing surface. Just polish with a sand paper like emery or crocus cloth so race does not bind, and should be fine.

Make sure you have good flat surface on hub flange, gaskets, seals and grease cap to keep water out.
Roger that, thanx!

Wrong. Use the old race UPSIDE DOWN large-side-in and you will be able to remove it after seating the new race.

And why won’t the new race fully seat?

Please put the hacksaw away.
I used a H/F ratchet press until the inner race "seemed" fully seated. Then reinstalled the bearing and seal cap. Question: Should the seal be exactly flush with the hub or is it okay to be protruding slightly? I ask because I had trouble reinstalling the C clip because the groove was "tight." I worked with it a bit and it seemed okay. Then upon installing a new caliper and pads, the clearance on the pads over the new rotor was insufficient as if the rotor was extended outward a bit. Perhaps I need to reseat the race and seal?
Thanks

Flush like this.
DS Kunckle & axle hub install 032 (3).JPG

All to often the rear hub seal is installed backward. This leaves a rise lip protruding. Than as wheel bearing breakaway preload set, you'd get a false 9.5 to 15lb pull on spring scale. The metal seal protion protruding will rub metal to metal with back of spindle. As the spindle is harden steel, it eats the protruding metal of seals. This in-turn cause wheel bearings to loosen rapid and excessively, and metal to get into wheel speed sensor and possible wheel bearings.

Here one installed wrong. Which was pulled back off after a ~100 miles.
WRONG!
Backward.JPG

What is the threshold for replacing as far as how they look or feel?
My quick answer is.....I change bearings when they need changing so basically rarely ever change bearings because they never need changing. Out of a bunch of LX/LCs the last 25+ years, only my first '92 LC had one bearing acutally go out and I changed it. I've never had any other bearings really wear out so I don't waste money changing good bearings. Been hundreds of thousands of miles on same bearings and you can to if you wanted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom